FUTURE CNC Large Lathe Discussion

Continuing the discussion from HAAS CNC Lathe - UTD Auction - SOLD $9,575.00:
In stemming from the recent lathe auctions, let the discussion start here.

We will need to pool our money for the donations to buy the CNC lathe.

So do we do a somewhat of crowdfunding? Some if not many have the deadline, I’m not sure how I feel about this. Ultimately I’d like to see a spot where those who want a CNC lathe to donate towards it.

How do we decide if it is a lathe “we” want?

How far do we want to put the search net for a lathe? Case in point, while we may be able to afford a lathe in Lubbock, can we afford to transport it to here. Rigging is a little harder the further you get out. I say this because I have riggers that I trust & have a working relationship that I would like to use if possible.

I’m guessing that the cost of “accessories” (i.e., compatibility with our others) will figure into that equation.

I believe the biggest question to ask currently is do we have the infrastructure to support this. I know we have some interest but is it great enough to put a cnc lathe over other things?

We somewhat slated for one in the expansion.

2 Likes

Relying on time sensitive auctions is probably not the way to go in the future. There is no time available for Committee discussions.

Perhaps we should spend our efforts hitting up local Machine Shops, Colleges, and Universities for possible donations. Since UTD just auctioned off this CNC Lathe, what are the chances that they have other suitable machine tools as well that are surplus to their needs. We have been told that several other Colleges are sitting on a bunch of unused machine tools. We need to make these contacts BEFORE professional auctioneers get involved.

If we discover a good piece of equipment;

1. A knowledgeable person can check the item out.
  2. Decide as a group if we want to accept it or not. Interests? Cost? Space?
  3. Use Committee funds and/or Crowd Funding for the rigging and shipping costs.

I have a contact at the UTD Surplus Department that I will contact.

3 Likes

I’m going to talk to a few of my contacts with the local University’s. I have already put a bug in the ear at a couple places.

3 Likes

Suggestion:

• Wait until after we actually get moved to proceed with this purchase
  • Come up with a purchasing priority list for the next say two years.
  • Start saving/sequestering funds for the the purchase of capital equipment.

For pieces of equipment where members want to donate towards its prucahs, we’ll need some formal way they they can actually donate money (so we know we actually have it) but it is held in trust until a certain date, if the goal isn’t met by a certain date is returned to the donors. They/we can of course will re-pledge for a new date, For practical reasons there will probably need to be a minimum donation size of $100. The total of what the committee has sequestered and approved plus what is in trust is what is available to bid.

IMO, we should have criteria for what is desired: Not “Oh wow … look at this one!”. I would recommend that there be a “Bid Team” of three, five, whatever, selected by the committee, for say one year terms or the term of the fund, that will be empowered to bid on behalf of the Machine Shop Committee. Should it be 2 out 3 or all 3 must agree? Don’t know, but committee can decide. All members are free to hunt for and propose machines. But when it is time bid or buy we need to be able to act with confidence we have the funds.

But it needs to be done with funds actually available to be paid, not weekly ad hoc bidding sessions of “pledges” not actual cash. This is very doable, but our current approach I think is raising false hopes, until we have at lest $8+K available we really can’t even think we’ll be competitive. $12K-$14K is a more realistic number for something that isn’t a piece of junk.

Have a fund available may also provide us an opportunity to purchase a machine from a company that wants to upgrade. Bonus: we’ll get ti see the machine running, they can take a lower price because there’s no commission plus a lower price because they want to donate. If we have funds, we can actually send out inquiries to businesses that we are interested.

I’ll wholeheartedly support this effort to get a CNC lathe or other piece of equipment, even though it is probably well known I don’t think CNC lathe is a good fit for DMS based on my manufacturing experience. But I’m just one vote, but more than willing to donate, but if we are going to do it, let’s have a real plan and method to do this.

2 Likes

I would love to discuss the logistics of obtaining a cnc lathe for DMS with someone in person. I ran the lathe dept at my last job, so I feel I could provide the best insight on this. I’ll be at the space on Sunday and Monday. Feel free to shoot me a message!

3 Likes

Who at DMS has the proper ability to open a Go Fund Me for the collection of funds to be used towards purchasing this? I’m happy to toss my money to this.

1 Like

We can set up an internal account at DMS, even use a a separate savings account if desired. The big advantage over Go Fund Me is the cost. I’m looking at this being mainly for internal contributions rather than public solicitations. Not against Go Fund Me if going outside, in fact the smarter way to do it.

But before we do any collecting we need to have clear objectives of what we want and how much the committee is able to commit at any given point. Once the bid committee is given approval to start looking that money is basically committed and can’t be spent until the end date.

My point was to make it easy as possible to donate, that’s out of my area of expertise. That’s why I was cautious in just saying crowd funding vs say Go Fund Me. My thoughts, & I could be wrong & may very well be, is the relative short dates of funding terms.

The follow up question to this is always going to" funds from where?"
Machine shop gets $500 a month from the BoD for consumables (only). We average more than $500/mo going out right now. The rest of the money has to come from classes at a rate of $50-$100 per class depending on whether the teacher takes the honorarium or not. Or from ticket sales such as the $55./ seat from the haas class (which averages about $600/month when I offer the class). The last method is to either charge for machine time (like laser does) or sell material and scrap which we have done in the past to only a small amount per year.

so ok, people were willing to donate roughly $2k. that leaves an outstanding balance of $12-16k for a reasonable system. what’s the plan? The same people keep donating every year for another 8-10 years? No? Ok, we need 320 classes taught on the high side JUST for this. forget the overage on our consumables. who’s up for teaching the additional 320 classes? We got 3 regular teachers doing al the heavy lifting folks! Expecting them to do it is a none starter.

I’m not trying to neigh say it, but we need to get VERY real. Just where do you all expect the money to come from? The BoD won’t be turning anything loose for over a year after the move. of the roughly $12K we have, 8-9K is locked for a long time to come. we’re going to burn thru a lot for the move. that’s the immediate priority.

For the most part, I’m staying out of the discussions because I just don’t see it happening without a completely different revenue stream. So let’s hear it - HOW DO YOU PLAN TO PAY FOR IT? I for one will not put up a dime of my own money. I am personally doing at least 20 classes in the next 4 months. that’s my contribution.

Without a very real revenue plan, it is all just pie in the sky without the kind donation from some benefactor. that’s all I got to say.

1 Like