Free Oil Eating Bacteria

I’ve got some oil stains on my driveway and purchased a highly-rated product that claims to contain live oil-eating bacteria. Idea is to put this stuff down, moisten it and keep it moist. The critters do their work and the stains go away.

Anyhow, I’ve got a couple of pounds of the stuff and was wondering if anyone in Science might want a bit to play with? It might be fun to grow it out and see how it acts in a flask of oil or something.

The product is called Terminator-HSD.

4 Likes

The back parking lot can use that and more…

3 Likes

@Team_Science

Interesting…

Anybody know what this is? I’ve worked on a couple of projects with third party remediation companies doing bioremediation of soil, but I was under the impression it was enzyme based. Either way, did not get a lot of details and am interested in what I need to research.

1 Like

I don’t have much free time but someone in Science should be able to almost instantly determine whether there are bacteria involved. Assuming they are there, characterizing them could take days or more, and growing them out a bit longer than that. Would be awesome to pour a slurry on the parking lot that gets rid of the crap back there.

I might be overly trusting, but it seems to me that a false claim that live bacteria are involved would have been refuted long ago and their reputation demolished. I have seen no such allegations and feedback seems to be almost completely positive.

1 Like

sure well take some thanks!

2 Likes

@Josh_Melnick, I’ll bring some to the space and post here once I do.

3 Likes