Frank Disucssion RE: CNC Plasma & The Near Future

Continuing the discussion from Plasma Cutter - ERROR Light (Not cutting):

From what little I have read, the DHC V1 with which this machine is equipped as I understand it, never worked very well. DHC2 supposedly worked pretty well, but is no longer available for purchase (has anyone tried calling PlasmCAM to see?). There is also the question of whether we want to upgrade a machine we do not own (and solid arguments on both sides).
So.
I know some folks H-A-T-E the PlasmaCAM and would like for it to be replaced by a new, owned by DMS, “better” unit altogether. I’d like to ask those folks to list and link a couple of those options they prefer here, for discussion.
(no links, but here was a conversation I recall where it was asserted that we should just replace, and the assertion that “decent units” would be to the tune of ~$20-25k, but a lot can change quickly in these markets) Craigslist Plasmacam $1500 in Ponder (No longer available)

I know some of us would like to make the DHC work on the existing unit. We can try to rig this one to work (as I understand, not really feasible, and generally not considered “worth it”) or replace it. I wonder if anyone has researched replacement any further than I. I have tried, but generally get bogged own in trying to understand WHICH (if any) replacements would be feasible, let alone desirable.
Here are a couple of options, but again, I don’t really understand what I’m looking at, so please, weigh in.
(actually, I can’t find them now that I want to post them here…, so, please, post any if you’ve dug into this, and can find some options)

And finally, I think. @dallasmagna are these things we would consider spending Metal Shop money on anytime in the near future, or is homegrown with cast-off electronics really our only option here?

here’s the result, hopefully:

1 Like

We can’t really modify the Plasmacam since it isn’t ours. I have not tried the height controls since we changed the computer. There appears to be more noise transmitted while in slow speed compared to the other pc didn’t get it until higher speeds. I have some ferrite beads that I will probably see if it helps.

Additionally we discussed in the last meeting the eventual replacement. Keep in mind this replacement will be many months in the making, specifically since machines are from 15-25k. We are looking into various machines. We will be contacting the manufacturers with many questions. I would also like to do a site visit to look at the different machines to see what they have to offer.

1 Like

@TBJK Tim and others have looks more like $12K ~ $15K, not small change, but in “doable range”. The Z-Axis is a critical feature and will allow thin/warped metal to be cut easily.

Good info, Tim. Thank you.
I’d love to be involved in that process, if I can help. Obviously, the site visits sound exciting. I would at least like to have the opportunity to refuse going because of other obligations. :slight_smile:

I like the JD2 feature of switching between a sharpie, air scribe & plasma head.

Edit it is 790$ to add it.

2 Likes

Have y’all looked at Multicam? The pendant should be the same so people moving from CNC Router to plasma would have an easier time running the machine and vice versa.

Also we have several members who work for Multicam and have helped fix the CNC. Some of the also work on plasma cutters.

Just throwing it out there.

5 Likes

So we’re talking about $13k for a 4x4 (same bed size as the PlasmaCAM we have now, right?) up to $19k for 5x10 (drool). Obviously, those are “as advertised” website prices, so subject to shift, I’m sure.

Also, need to buy the power unit (for any other solutions we explore purchasing)
I think the Powermax 65 is the modern iteration of the unit we have.

Stated price on Hyptertherm’s site is $3,250.00 US.

That’d be a total of $23-24kish nominal, plus SH and ancillaries…

1 Like

We should approach these companies for not only non-profit pricing, but also to see if we can get discounts by allowing their reps to use the machine to do demos for their prospective customers or to do training for prospective customers.

Being creative like this may help us bring the costs down even further, allowing us to possibly get something bigger and with more features. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We can’t just be supportive of our local economy like that!
( :wink: )
I count no less than 6 offerings from them for CNC Plasma.
Do you have an impression which of their offerings might fit our bill, for a starting point?
Or be most like what we have, so we have a way to begin comparing?
Or a price list/catalogue?

1 Like

We can talk to the rep and figure something out. We got the CNC router at cost last time instead of retail. Saved like 18k.

Main question I have though is do you need more than 4x4 and at what cost? Will ventilation need to be increased? Do we have room? Do we have a way for people to even bring in that large of material?

3 Likes

A 1/4 inch piece of 4x8 plate is 320lbs. That doesn’t sound doable in the current state of the metal shop. The 4x4 table seems like a more viable option which reduces costs as well.

3 Likes

We did “decide” last meeting that 4x8 plate is dangerous for “makers” to haul, load and setup and we’d like to stick with 4x4

5 Likes

We got on subject about getting another handheld plasma cutter. That’s where I said several other manufacturers of CNC machines use their machines I.e. Torchmate. They are owned by Lincoln. I have reached out to them in the past about pricing on a machin which was the educational package, I asked about discounts & what not for set-up & it was in the 22-24k
75006-21617 4400EDU.pdf (752.9 KB)
Personally I don’t think we should get anything bigger than a 4x4 or 5x5. Most people will not be able to safely handle that material.

2 Likes

Another worthy topic.
Good info, Tim! Thank you.

1 Like

Tim bought some steel sheet stock, one was 1/4" 4’x8’ - the table top for Sherlines in Machine Shop. It was cut to 6’ x 4’, corners were radiused the rotated to do other corners. We needed 6 people to safely lift (50+ lbs each) and handle this over other equipment and position it.

Even a 1/2" x 4’ x 4’ will be 320 lbs. Personally, I think 4’ x 4’ is a good size and I’d SWAG that would cover 90%+ of more projects without the need to re-position to do the second cut.

4 Likes

No amount of logic will override the facts: bigger is better.
(I kid, I kid. I’m fine with whatever the committee decides, even if that’s doing nothing, though that would be disappointing).

4 Likes

Given enough room and gantry access - I generally agree bigger is better in a lot of cases. To safely handle a 4’ x 8’ sheet you need about 10’ of clear space in front of the machine just to maneuver it onto the machine - plus an aisle-way to move it to the machine. Would be great if Metal shop had 4X the space so larger projects could be worked on 8’ x 4’ tables for welding and assembly sheet metal projects.

sigh :anguished: … someday!

3 Likes

I’m designing a sign that will have a 10’ spread by 18” high and a 1 foot arch in it. I’m designing it in 3 sections and then will be welded up. It can be cut on a 4x4 table. I’ll either plasma cutor laser cut it. The main reason, is it’s just easier at these sizes until the final fabrication. So it will be large, but it can be a one man operation until final fab.

I saw someone recently cut a 4x8 sheet of 10 ga sheet on a 4x4 table by setting up in-feed and out-feeders and indexing the cut. After cutting the first 4x4 section, they slid the sheet to the out-feed area and re-indexed the cut and cut the other half. Turned out great. So there are ways to cut a full sheet, but the metal shop now is too small. Most shops I’ve seen, using 4x8 or 5’x10’ tables are doing major production and have all the hoists and moving equipment to move the metal around safely. Metal Shop would need to really be enlarged and overhead moving capable to a loading dock, etc… 5x10 table in the right layout would be cool though!

2 Likes

In many of the posts about the PlasmaCam, it is stated the DMS does not own it.
Who owns it?
Would they be willing to sell it so we (DMS) could make alterations/improvements, etc?
For my 2 cents, I think a 4x4 table is sufficient in the confines of the current shop. You get a few people in the area working on the brakes and in the welding area, then the grinders, and it is crowded. Larger stock might be a danger. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

The last I heard someone say is he wanted $5K. I think most folks think it would be better to apply that towards a new machine with updated software, everything new, etc.

I agree a 4’ x 4’ is a good size for our space and will do the vast majority of projects have with moving and indexing the part.

1 Like