File type for laser engraving

I’m trying to engrave a 13"x13" piece of wood to use as a stamp. What type of file do I need to upload to the printer?

also, for clarity, here is a photo of what I’m trying to engrave

Are you asking on the Zing or Thunder laser?

either? depends what is free when I make it up to the space

Noted. So the file you need is different depending on the laser you use.

For the Zing, you need a PDF.
The PDF, sent to the Zing will cut any line that is set to a .001in thickness, and raster everything else.
The Epilogue software will allow you to set the power and speed for each, after you have sent the PDF to it.

For the Thunder lasers, you only need a vector file. Say, from Adobe Illustrator or Inkskape.
That file you will import into RDWorks, and select your Cut lines, and Raster areas within it.

It’s best to start with a vector version of your graphic either way. Do you have this already?

1 Like

no. Would it be possible to make the vector in Autodesk or Inventor? Or could I just save a Paint file as a PDF? (or am i overcomplicating this?)

Here you go. Use one of the Thunder lasers. It’ll be faster and less complicated, since it sounds like you’re not too familiar with the Zing.

I vectorized your image, then split it into two, then duplicated and reversed it, since I wasn’t sure which part you wanted to be the “stamp” part.

Import this file into RDworks. Choose the image you want, resize it and set the engrave settings for your material. Good luck!

Download the zip.
thingy.zip (712.2 KB)

Preview

7 Likes

dang man! thanks! I really appreciate it! What will the Zing cut, the white or black part?

The Zing will Raster the black part.

If you are going to use the zing, you’ll need to open this file in Adobe Illustrator, or Inkscape, set it to the size you want, then print it to PDF. That PDF is what you will send to the Epilog software. Those extra steps can be tricky, so watch your sizing, and what you have the laser set to as home.

2 Likes

gotcha! Much appreciated my man

1 Like

Zachary, your questions got me thinking…do you have the training to use the lasers?
I’m not seeing your name on the training rolls.

3 Likes