Fiber Ball Winder

Do we have a yarn ball winder at DMS? Is it in CA somewhere?

2 Likes

Fibre ball unwinder:

8 Likes

We have one, as well as a swift. It’s in the cabinet, usually on the top shelf. Make sure you take the metal arm of the ball winder and rotate it out from the storage position, and then rotate it back when you’re finished :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@TLAR no, no unwinders at the space that I know of, but one of the strays I’ve seen around might help ya :wink:

3 Likes

I have a pair or older unmatched yarn unwinders at home that came with the neighbourhood…no need for anymore. Thanks though!

1 Like

The gift that keeps on giving… a female kitten… :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. I watched this video of a man disassembling a sweater and thought what a cool idea. It looks reasonably challenging for a newbie but requires a ball winder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBryKSZwb5c @2min and 29 sec you’ll see him disassembing a sweater.

I’m sure it isn’t as easy as he makes it seem, but I was curious if anyone at DMS has done this?

2 Likes

Haven’t done it, but this person unwinds a sweater onto a home made PVC holder (sorry, don’t know the right term).

1 Like

@jast that’s called a niddy noddy
@coloneldan just look carefully at tge construction, some sweater makers will knit huge panels, then cut and sew pieces together, making the yarn almost impossible to reclaim

3 Likes

Come on a Tuesday night and the Fiberholics can help you wrangle the yarn. But yes, in general, all the tools you seek are in the top shelf of the fiber cabinet.

2 Likes