FDM Air quality - thoughts for expansion plans

At my work we follow addative manufaturing papers and there are now several about air contamination from 3D printing processs. Studies are now highliting that FDM printers should be well ventilated and that users should not be near the printers while in opperation.

2 Likes

Interesting article. Considering the makeup of particles, i find the research interesting. While there are particles, particles dont equal risk. Consider the woodshop on a busy day. Lots of particles in the air, Little appreciable risk.

Particles are really bad for your lungs, in addition to the explosion risk with combustible dusts like wood. Pointing out the amount of airborne particulates in woodshop has no bearing on particulates’ environmental safety.

1 Like

While there are particles, particles dont equal risk.

From the article:

Preliminary tests with in vivo, in vitro and acellular methods for particles generated by a limited number of filaments showed adverse responses,” explained Dr. Rodney Weber, Georgia Tech’s primary investigator of the research.

Sorry but vague response is vague

You said particles don’t equal risk. The primary investigator of the cited study said tests of particulates from some filaments have, in fact, produced adverse responses.

This has come up before

“Limited number of particles showed adverse responses”. I figure when If I’m breathing particles, the fewer the better, but the quote from the article doesn’t say which particles (sounds like only some of them) and what is the adverse reaction. Probably more than a slight cough, but probably not death. It doesn’t give me any usable information.