Etching Machine

I’m in need of building the electronic guts for an etching machine to put info and logo on my knives. I have the Variac but need some help with the electronics end. I have a video from Bob Warner that shows him making one with a Variac. It can anodize Titanium and etch steel. I can make a trade for help with the etcher, like helping with making a knife, or something other.

1 Like

I found this page which walks one through the construction process in detail.

I looks to me like the circuit is a 25VAC transformer optionally run through a full bridge rectifier to convert the AC to DC. Pretty straightforward. One switch for power, one switch for AC/DC, two leads for the etching, and some Blinkenlights.

http://chriscrawfordknives.com/tutorials/written-tutorials/electro-etcher/page-1/

1 Like

You might also check out our Metaza. It’s in the CA room on the same table as the Vinyl Cutter.

Looking at the same thing, but have decided to use the diamond drag bit on the CNC router - no chemical or heat changes to the blade.

The Metaza doesn’t use chemicals or heat… but you’ll probably have better luck with the diamond bit if the blade is already hardened.

@EthanWestern and I played with Electrolysis, and were very happy with the results.

We used the bench top power supply at @Science, salt water as an electrolyte, copper wire to suspend the piece to be etched and the anode (metal to be wasted). Cool to see it in action.

You have a variety of options for masking. Vinyl is popular. I am going to try spray paint and laser to make the mask for my pieces.

Just a small example of what the drag bit can do with a bad picture, sorry:

1 Like