Emergency lighting

Todays power outage reminded me that we still need to make some provision for emergency lighting

I was in the workshop when it happened and it was pitch black in the JSM area Now the student that had been able to stay to finish up his andonizing had easy access to a flashlight

it helped when Auto got their battery light up and on Without that light or a flashlight leaving the workshop
would have bee a challenge

Up front the I pads helped

We need some type of emergency lighting for rthe shop and my thought rechargable flashilght
that plug in for the classrooms

3 Likes

Hopefully all the off-topic posts in other threads about flashlights/emergency lighting will get moved here.
In the meantime:

1 Like

I think that was what Bill was thinking about

Is there not battery backed emergency exit illumination? That’s a pretty basic building code requirement, would be surprised if it doesn’t invalidate insurance as well.

2 Likes

we have that but in the shop it is barely visable from the JSM area and all it is 'is
an exit light

They would be fine if you had a nice clear hallway to walk down
But when folks are working things like toolboxes may well be in the way

I carry a flashlight on my person at all times. Workplace has impressive UPS and backup generators so it’s generally a non-issue there. But someplace like DMS it’s something I’d recommend to everyone.

1 Like

“I pads” refers to @StanSimmons wonderful Raspberry Pi displays at classroom doors. Who would have thought they would provide light with power off? Actually the server room has lots of backup power as was noted elsewhere. Stan used POE (Power over Ethernet) technology to run data and power over single Cat 6 (or whatever) cables to power the units. This saves running extra power cables and keeps them on during a power outage. Way to go again, Stan!

@Cairenn_Day - Thanks for pointing out yet another of Stan’s contributions.

1 Like

The Liability waiver iPads actually stayed up longer than anything else and did provide a light source in the lobby and wherever square kiosks were… laser, metal, woodshop. Creative arts, 3d

3 Likes

I jumped to the wrong conclusion but still good work Stan and others.

The Raspberry Pi’s did stay up until the big ups ran out, they provided hallway lighting.

1 Like

I don’t think we need flashlights. They will just disappear. Actuall emergency lighting would be a better idea. However it would only be enough to allow safe egress.
https://www.exitlightco.com/category/Emergency-Lights.html

7 Likes