Dynatorch & Bridgeport Mill Project Help Needed

I am a new member and I have a JPEG file that I need assistance with converting to G-Code for the Dynatorch to cut out but I do not have the training on it yet to do it alone and I am looking for someone that is willing to assist me with this. Also, someone able to use the Bridgeport Mill to help me face the material flush and true afterwards would be greatly appreciated.

Are you considering using the Bridgeport just to remove the dross (rough bits) from the plasma cut edge? Grinder is better suited for that I reckon.

no im planning on using the Bridgeport to make sure that there is no warp after the plasma torch and also to face off the surfaces of the steel to perfect flatness +/-.001.

Sounds interesting.

What size material H X W x T? Here’s the problem you will have:

• It is probably not within ± .001" unless it is very small BEFORE you start
  • Unless it is fairly thick and small, say .125" and under 6", then you can machine down
  • If it is thin, you’ll have it in a constrained conditioned when machined, when released it’ll go back to whatever it was before being constrained.

Some Good News: if after being machined in a constrained condition so the surfaces are flat and when mounted into an assembly that constrains them, you can make it work.

Getting thin material to lay flat generally has to be formed to get it that way or through heat treatment. If material has curve/set to it, you either machine it enough away to get it flat, heat treat it and hope it relaxes to flat, or have the mechanically exceed its modulus of elasticity so it takes a new set.

Hey Troy! Welcome to MakerSpace! Kimberly and I just joined last week.

I managed to do the Dynatorch class yesterday and would be glad to help you out there. It’s not hard at all, but we will need to convert your graphic file to DXF or some other vector format. Can’t help on the Bridgeport (yet) though. I’m sure you can find someone else to help there… and much more knowledgeable than me in both areas…

1 Like

For your file you will need to convert the JPEG to a SVG. What are you trying to make? A dimension drawing in CAD would be likely best since you are trying to get it down to .001 flatness.

the material in question is Annealed O1 Tool steel .082" thick

What’s width and length? The bigger the piece the more likely you’ll need to machine off more to get ± .001" flatness over what distance: 2", 6", 12", bigger? What is the minimum thickness you can use, how much can be machined off? If off .010" can you machine off .009"?

Smaller pieces are likely to be pretty flat. But once you start plasma cutting* there is likely to be all kinds stresses being released - which mean you’ll have to leave more metal after the cut to ensure you’re out of the HAZ. Tool steel is very hard, so I’d say no chance trying to manually straighten.

Curious, what is being made? Some sort of knife?

• “Cutting” is really an accurate term; Plasma Burning is closer sent it literally gets the metal hot then uses a jet of air to burn the metal away same as Oxy-Acet cutting torch does. Lots of heat.