Dye patterns on veg tan?

Is there a way to tape off parts of a piece of veg tan you are dying so you can dye it a different color? I want to make a small Midori style notebook for my niece and her nickname is dot so I’d like to do a polkadot pattern. Dye seems to act way different than paint by soaking into the leather and such, is this even possible? This will hopefully be her potions/spell book if I like how the wand I make turns out

1 Like

You might do some experimenting with “liquid frisket” it’s a masking material that you can peel off.

3 Likes

Ok I don’t know who named that but kudos to them. From what I’m reading it’s just liquid vinyl though, is the easy peel the upshot

1 Like

I’ve never tried that so if it works, let me know. Personally I’ve just used a paintbrush to paint in the 2 different colors. It is tedious work that way.

I’m sure there’s a junk scrap I can test it on

You could do the dots in acrylic paint My SCA armor was dyed black, bu the
Celtic knotwork was in acrylic on it

2 Likes

Laser or vinyl cutter masking and airbrush?

1 Like

This was done with acrylic paint about a year ago.

3 Likes

I doubt a mask would work well since leather is so pourus

I did just that when I made my leather MTG pack holders.

For the detail piece, I lasered it with blue tape on top, removed the tape where the symbol is, and then very gently applied some purple with a q-tip where the blue tape was removed. You want to use a very small amount of dye to keep it from absorbing under the edge of your stencil.

8 Likes

The lasered area acted like a mask It sealed the leather fibers

That is good idea how to do it

you might take a piece of scrap leather and see if masking wrks

4 Likes

As in magic the card game? Also great idea

Any finish over the acrylic or just the paint?

Yup. Making a swanky drafting set and box for my cube (which is not nearly so swanky).

2 Likes

I inadvertently got antique dye over it, then sealed it.

1 Like

If you use laser or swivel knife cuts to isolate the parts, you can paint dye onto selected areas using a small paintbrush with minimal chance of bleeding.

This is often done with western (Sheridan) style tooling to blacken the background.

Sample Googled image (not my work):

B1F3A6BE-E884-44E9-BC90-44517534B97E

6 Likes