DTFB R/C Airplane building class

So there has been some interest in a class for teaching the building of DTFB planes. I’d like to gather some info on what you guys would be expecting out of the class.

–Would you guys like to watch and see how one is designed and built? Are you more interested in the construction techniques? Or more interested in the design process?

–Would you guys like to have your own kits to follow along? (keep in mind that this takes the class from a free class to attend to one that we will likely need to charge for to supply the electronics for all the planes)

–Would you guys like to have more focus on electronics and wiring? or more on structure and assembly?

–Would you like a brief overview version condensed to a single class?
Or would you be interested in a series of classes that covers information in more detail?

Let me hear your thoughts and input so I can plan something around your desires :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think a series would be awesome, in my case I have a design I need to cut and put together.

1 Like

Now that I am on path to cut the Zero… I have fallen in love with this plane thanks to War Thunder…

Focke-Wulf Ta 154

1 Like

Yes. But please other than Saturdays or Sunday mornings.

My ideal is a kit precut on the laser. We build it in the class and install the avionics.

Another session later with coaching on flying.

As much as I love WWII warbirds, I would rather start with something with a high wing.

Awesome, guys! Love the feedback! It sounds like we are going to need more than one series of classes to cover the skill-sets needed for all of this. I see it broken down into three categories of classes: Design, Build, Flight

The design series of classes will cover everything from making the plans, to aerodynamics. The build series will cover construction and balancing techniques, electronics and repairs. The flight “series” will likely only be one class long, cost a few bucks (to cover park reservation fee) and be held off-site. It would cover tuning, maiden flights and trouble-shooting. The flight courses will likely need to be a fly-in style meet-up where everyone brings their own planes and equipment.

It is hypothetically possible to cram the entire build session into one night, but we would all have to be building something simple like the FT Nutball and those flat designs have not garnered much interest so far (there has been no mention of them so far unless I’m mistaken?). If we wanted to build something like the Zero, or Harold’s trainer, we will likely need multiple sessions to complete them (my guess would be 2-3 depending on the complexity of the build).

If all this sounds good, I can start putting together outlines for the lesson plans and start getting the material ready.

2 Likes

I also forgot to mention the possibility of making a build class where kits are included. If we were to do this model it will likely have a longer ramp-up time to coordinate RSVP, ordering of supplies, waiting for shipping, and finally the class itself. There would also have to be a few different prices based on what people already have. Something like:

Airframe only (laser-cut DTFB) - $10
Receiver-ready kit (laser-cut DTFB, motor/s, ESC/s, extensions, servos, push-rods) - $75
Starter-kit (laser-cut DTFB, motor/s, ESC/s, extensions, servos, push-rods, transmitter, reciever, battery, charger) - $150

Just to be clear, these prices are totally made up, I just used them as examples!

1 Like

I would prefer a starter kit so that the pieces are guaranteed to work together. Provided the transmitter has decent room to grow…

The Flite-test kits seem to be pretty well setup, and you could always swap the radio, as long as it provides the requisite number of channels.

1 Like

I highly doubt we will be making so many orders that it would be difficult to customize them, so I’m sure we can manage a mix-n-match to make everyone happy. As far as criteria for “room to grow” what level of growth are you talking? Just extra channels (about $20 extra depending on number)? Or a fully programmable transmitter (these transmitters usually run in the $200-$1000 range)?

1 Like

Looking for a take on AMA memberships and how they would affect the class? Looks like a lot of flying fields at least near my house have an AMA membership requirement. I finally broke down and picked one up, it wasn’t cheap… $86, so much for my Taranis Q X7 budget for now.

1 Like

AMA memberships are good to have, and AMA fields are pretty snazzy to fly at (power, shade, runway, the works) but unfortunately they also come with a lot of rules that are a pain to deal with when you are flying alone or with a small group, so I have not bothered with one since I stopped flying nitro planes. As for us flying as a group at an AMA field, I see it as a more costly option than reserving a public park as all attendees would have to have their own AMA membership (each costing about as much as renting a park for an afternoon)

1 Like

I have already realized that an AMA membership is needed to do much serious flying with the various clubs and have been putting it off until I finally take the plunge.

I want to start just learning to fly R/C. Then I want to build some balsa kits, but modify them for R/C and electric power.

Then maybe take on some of those large Guillows warbird kits with retractable gear and flaps. And get into multi-engine. So I would want enough channels to eventually do that. I do not want to be replacing radio gear because it was not good enough.

I got this transmitter to start practicing with and for the zero, https://smile.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-i6X-Upgrade-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B01NABG5TY this is what I want https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQWQ7C3 but with battery, receiver that price climbs

1 Like

So you are sort of on a cusp, there. Most transmitters are going to come in 5, 7, and 9 channels (to cover these functions, that is… there are transmitters with at many as 18 channels that are easily sourced, and custom ones where the limit is effectively non-existant)

The difficult part is the large jump in prices between the 7 and 9 channel models.

As a side-note: in the past I have combined channels when possible to make cheaper/less capable components work (like combining flaps and retracts into one, since 90% of the time they will be used in tandem)

1 Like

So I think we could get away with doing some starter kits that will include everything needed to fly with a bit of room to grow – 6 channels (which should be enough to add flaps and retracts to most planes).

The price is coming in at ~$120-$150 each (~$150 assuming individual shipping, ~$120 if we can get 5 orders in one shipment) which includes:

Laser-Cut DTFB Kit
Transmitter (Turnigy TGY-i6)
Receiver (Turnigy TGY-iA6)
ESC (10amp w/ BEC)
Motor (2204 2s-3s)
2x Servos (MG90s)
Battery (800mah 3s 30c)
Charger (2s-3s)

Is this an affordable price for you guys?

I think I have most of that from the stalled Zero build, I’m in!

1 Like

How does Turnigy compare with Spektrum radio equipment?

I think that Turnigy IA6B is a pretty standard made in China radio, same one made by Eachine, Flysky, etc, etc. I think Spektrum stuff is probably higher quality. I think the IA6B is a decent radio but I think it has a fixed antenna, and probably its gimbals are not as smooth.

For those who might prefer Spektrum, will it be practical to offer a starter kit minus the transmitter/receiver pair?

Absolutely. The transmitter and receiver account for about $40 of The price. So that would cut the price down to about ~$80-$110 for a reciever-ready kit

1 Like