Drilling hole in steel

I’m trying to drill a hole in steel approx 5/8 to 3/4 in to hold the pin in a trailer hitch. I’m at the drill press and a.) are the bits in the cabinet the ones to use, or are there others “in line to use” first? b.) How do you hold the clamp down to the steel table? when I try to drill a pilot hole, the clamp moves. It seems like there might be a magnetic way to hold it down, but I cannot figure out how to do it…

Many thanks for advice.

the clamp should have enough mass that if you are doing your pilot holes / center punch (as you should on metal) then it shouldn’t move around. How big is the item you are trying to hold?

Regarding bits, there are a few drawer boxes in the cabinet behind the bridgeport. The lower boxes have drill bits, however I think we only stock up to 1/2. We have larger in the form of end mills in the higher boxes that you can “Peck drill” down into the piece with depending on what the material is. Almost all the bits are high speed steel bits

This is OK using the drill press? I have no idea…

1 Like

Guys: Many thanks! I found David, the stud, and he bailed me out with the Bridgeport! Thank you all!

1 Like

I was happy to broker the into. Glad you got what you needed!

Peck drilling with an end Mill is never a good idea and if done in steel will ruin the end Mill. Please no one do this! And I’m pretty sure using a end Mill in the drill press will get you banned from the machine shop. @Team_Machine_Shop can give better information on this I’m sure

1 Like

It is “okay” IF:

• You are trained to use the Bridgeport
  • If steel, you can find the right 4 flute cutter

Roger and I found a slightly oversize cutter, and cut the holes. I think he’ll sign up for next Bridgeport class.

Drills are used ONLY in drill chucks. Mills are used in ONLY in collets. Never mix the two.

2 Likes

Oddly, this was something that was taught in the bridgeport class I took. However I did not think to mention to the user here the note about the collet. I often forget I have to assume nothing about whom is reading notes.

1 Like

Good to see you remember it from the Bridgeport class!

1 Like

Ethan is correct. It’s not a good idea with a flat endmill. The appropriate thing to use is called a mill-drill but which provides the appropriate chip breaking. They are more expensive than normal. Drill bits are the best way to go.

Should this be amended in the class then?

I would say so