Donation: how to deal with misplaced vector tools

It was mention in electronics by Art the electronics chair and a member in vector that people walk off with vectors groups tools. I would like to donate these tools to tensions will reduce and so people can get work done. Any objections or direction or advice?

One hot air tool, two screw drivers, and two cheap allen wrench sets. TJ

6 Likes

Paging @Shawn_Christian - the group chair.

1 Like

Thank you for the donation and supporting DMS. The tools are greatly appreciated.

I will be up at DMS on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons between 6:30 and 10pm. If you want to drop the tools in the workbench drawer I will get them marked the next time I am at the space. The SMD rework station can go on the bench and I will mark it as well. Thanks!!

should i etch the name vector into the tool?

Tools where dropped. I wrote in permanent marker vector.

Spray paint in a distinctive color makes ownership obvious and retrieval easier. IIRC, CA uses pink and Automotive uses green. There are probably other colors already in use, but I’d recommend picking an unused color (or two if needed) and spraying the tool handles.

Works for Jimmy Diresta :slight_smile:

VECTOR never picked a color…

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/updated-color-coding-for-committees/39218

Yes we did. Blue and Yellow. Not sure why it still says it is undecided just below where it lists our colors.

I do plan on getting some spray paint and marking all of our committees tools soon.

Does Derista have members taking tools to different places and not returning them?

1 Like

Do we have any spare time jobs for cash?

At DMS? No… the only paying jobs at DMS are through the cleaning company and … um… PureTax (the accounting firm). We don’t hire or pay anybody (except honorariums to teachers).

I am ok working for someone from makerspace or someone who has a relationship at makerspace. Does anyone know if there a jobs like this?

So I take it that if there is no informative answer then we don’t have any paying gigs… or references to paying gigs.

Perhaps this board is closest to what you’re seeking?
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/off-topic/job-listings

2 Likes

No, but in an interview Jimmy Diresta said he used to have a problem with his tools walking off from job sites until he started spraypainting them white and plastering his name everywhere on them.

1 Like

Bernard_Gray
Thanks for the reply, but with out a paying gig i can find the funds to replace more vectors tool set. If i where being realistic, i would expect both electronics and vector needs a bga replacement set. It feels like we are duck taping raspberry pis till we make a neo geo arcade game. I understand that is not happening, yet i see the skill set and know that more tools would give more opportunity. Personally i assembled a Beagle Bone entertainment system. http://beaglesnes.sourceforge.net/… Say anyone want one of these… minust the second control and Hdmi screen? Just for future reference?

I know I have seen the occasional Talk post where folks are offering jobs, or looking for jobs. Maybe post in the Maker Trade category? I would put Looking for Work in the header, and then list what varieties of work you’re looking for in the message.

I know I saw one recently, but they were looking for a specific skill set. Since I didn’t fit the skill set, I’ve promptly forgotten what it was.

Vector does not have much need for BGA rework tools at this time. I do not know about electronics and will leave that to Art. The electronics work done in Vector is mostly through hole components and some light surface mount rework.