Do we really have to pay $50 for the Auto Lift class?

The “by the month” membership cost option does not support this assertion. $50 for one-month access to a lift/wood shop/Bridgeport will definitely create a healthy number of “customers” who just need access to that tool one time in a several-year period.

p.s. - I love your illustration. :smiley:

2 Likes

It has been suggested in the past that we require a long term contract, but the general membership didn’t seem to support the idea. As I recall the primary reason was that we didn’t want to discourage people who simply can’t afford to pay every month. So we allow the membership to expire, and then be picked up again as they can afford. Personally I think this is a good solution. Doesn’t change that we expect members not customers. Customers don’t take out the trash, teach classes, maintain equipment, etc…

1 Like

Nope. I have zero desire to start up another makerspace. I have some desire in getting what was promised. That desire varies depending on how much I’ve been slapped around lately. Still, I feel it’s worthwhile to advocate for new members like myself.

I wish you old-timers could understand how close you are to the excellence you think you have. If you weren’t so stubborn and defensive, a few subtle changes would get you there. One would be to stop throwing knives at frustrated new members. Another would be to accurately describe the commitment in writing rather than assuming we can read your old-timer minds.

We’re getting there. You just don’t make it easy.

My apologies for that, you just look similar to the lady I was referring to :hushed:

I’m not opposed to change like some other old-timers, but I do wish people would search on Talk before complaining about something (at the same time, I wish the Talk search engine was smarter…). As others have stated, this argument has already happened like three or so times, and we’re pretty tired of having it.

2 Likes

And I think what started this whole thread is, if that were documented someplace, maybe it would quit coming up.

3 Likes

Yes, that is the key. Nothing prevents the folks who think it is needed from documenting it.

Something everyone needs to remember. If you think the $50 charge for the auto lift needs to change, then you either need to convince the current Auto chair, or replace the current auto chair. Those really are the ONLY two choices within our organizational structure.

6 Likes

Your $50 keeps the lights on and gets you in the door to use the basic tools (hammers, screwdrivers, tables, etc.)

The more complex and costly the machine, the more likely it is to have training (and fees) attached to it to cover normal wear and not-so-execellent abuse by people who disregard training. Those who join for just “one-month access” are probably more of the type that lead to the Tradgedy of the commons situation.

(edit: Anyone from @Team_Woodshop want to chime in on how many SawStop trips they’ve had and the associated cost per replacement?)

3 Likes

Exactly my point. Current rules and cost structure allows this type of membership; continual complaining about people following the rules accomplishes nothing.

Your illustration of the maker population is very male-dominated, you know that, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nah, my drawings are androgynous…

1 Like

That is just a sign of the times, it was much more evident in the past that you were not a customer. When I joined, $50 a month got me 24/7 access to 3 dingy rooms. a miter saw, a soldering iron, all the dead dry erase markers I could find, and the ability to yelled down by a group of 20 members in the monthly meeting. :smile:

Mine and other’s investment of time, money, and ridicule have built DMS to the level you see it now. We all give and take shots, we all make mistakes, and through that friction we have built this model of a successful makerspace. Kinder models hide the pitfalls and require a lower level of buy in. We walk a scary line when it comes to Liability and the items we offer, the higher level of buy in helps protect us from some of the liability.

We have had members seriously injure themselves, one of our scariest scenarios as a group. In all the cases I know of we never had that member come after the space. This level of abrasion we have may be one of the saving graces of our space. It might weed out those that may end up hurting the group by getting deep enough to seriously hurt themselves before they feel the protective urge to keep the space around for all. It is kind of a hard thing to prove, but I wonder.:thinking:

10 Likes

“DMS: the grouchiness shows we care”

Has a nice ring to it! :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Made an adjustment to better reflect Nick’s sentiment. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yeah some of that "disfunctionality"and so called “lack of excellence” is actually what makes DMS work as good as it does.

Got 1k+ members - what did you expect???

Disagree. Not everyone has access to the website. Something definitely prevents those who want the change from making it.

With very few exceptions the wiki is editable by ANYONE even if they aren’t a member. Feel free to ask Stan, Brooks, etc… and I am sure they will provide you the simple directions they did for me when I first joined and asked. Updating the wiki is one of the first things a new member can do to help out…

1 Like

Not talking about the Wiki. Talking about the website “join” page.

Ah, but the post of mine your responded to was talking about the wiki… You know, someplace like the Member 401 that EVERY new member should have read. That No one should have had to have been told about, since adults are perfectly capable of looking at the organizations basic web page (you know where you had to purchase your membership)…

I really object to this idea that we have some obligation to spoon feed new people. If folks don’t have enough gumption to read, or ask questions, they are going to prove to be a danger to themselves and others, since these are clearly going to be the people we continually encounter that are unable/unwilling to read the multitude of ever growing rule signs we are having to create…

2 Likes

I’ve managed to make you chase your tail here. My job is done.

Fewer rules and increase the lethality of not paying attention or having common sense. Problem will work itself out naturally, kinda like it was 40-50 years ago.

1 Like