Do we have a vacuum press

Looking to laminate some MDF. Anybody know if we have a vacuum and bag?

Would anybody like one? I may buy one and be willing to loan it to DMS

Creative Arts has a vacuum pump. They use it for degassing expoxy, etc. You would still need a bag.

For a one time use I have seen people use 3 mil poly and a heatseal iron. Supposedly double side foam tape will work too.

2 Likes

https://www.veneersupplies.com/categories/Vacuum__Press__Items/Vacuum__Bags

I have two bags from this company I use. Both are very good quality and long lasting. One is 5 years old the other 3.

I would suggest that you build a system similar to this one; https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Project-V4-Auto-Cycling-Venturi-Vacuum-Press-Kit.html

I run it off a vacuum pump I got at Harbor freight without any issues, just built a switch to turn the pump on and off as needed. I’ve also use an air venture and air compressor both preform equally well.

1 Like

I was hoping we had one of those v4 kits at DMS. How big are your bags?

1 Like

48 x 24 " and 24 x 24 "

I made a bag press out of vinyl from a fabric store and shower pan adhesive from Lowe’s (stays flexible), one ball valve, my vacuum pump, a quick disconnect coupler & nipple and a couple of washers.

My bag is about 46" x 85"

Total cost was about $40

In hindsight I will use lighter vinyl next time…

4 Likes

Vinyl is ok just watch the sharp corners.

Sharp corners?

“my bag was one of instant “need” for a simple dry mount of a 32"x80” image to gator board. My heated vacuum press is limited to about 40 x 60…so an instant bag was the way to go. (I’ve had not so great experiences with the sign shop near my store and wasn’t about to go that route again)

For my bag I folded over the material and sealed the two long sides leaving on short end of the bag at the opening for the materials. A pair of pine canvas stretcher bars and several “quick clamps” sealed the “open end” just fine.

A foam core circle punch made the hole for the nipple for my air coupler,

“Necessity is the mother of invention”

3 Likes