Discovered TheLab.MS

I discovered TheLab in Plano this weekend. They seemed like a good group of folks. Does anyone have any and experience to share with this other MakerSpace? Seems like to me there should be a partnership between they and DMS.

@Bill has been the most active with them. Search for them here, and you’ll find some impressions and information.
We briefly enjoyed a rivalry with them for SlingFest '16, where our Pegasus took the gold in her weight category…
Sadly, SF’17 was cancelled, and it sounds like Pegasus is not long for this world…

1 Like

Yes, there are some good people over there.

Their interests are a little different from ours. They like information security and penetration testing, game development and drones.

Their biggest problem is that they do not have a workshop and no clear prospects on raising enough money to open one.

1 Like

Just like the old days when we also owned Dallas hackerspace

2 Likes

The people with The Lab are great but it was more IT focused while I was more interested in a workshop. I enjoyed my time volunteering with them until I became busy at work and had to cancel my membership.

2 Likes

Around a year ago they reached out to DMS for various forms of collaboration. It didn’t make sense at the time but that could change.

1 Like

TheLab is also the organizer for the yearly (minus this year) Slingfest in Plano

1 Like

The pizza place next door is decent.

3 Likes

Co founder, and early CTO Here.

While I don’t have much of an association with them since they got the space next to Marinara Pizza. So, I can’t say much to things as of lately but as pointed out; thier mainly ran by infosec guys that focus more about “hacker”-space stuff than providing tools, building the community, or other things that one finds common at DMS. Not that this is a bad thing just depends on of one is into that sort of thing or not.

I would encourage one to visit some time and say hi then take a look at DMS to see if either one is a good fit.

Though if I’m going to be honest, I haven’t been more welcomed or felt at home as a member of DMS that any other Hackerspace I’ve been apart of, (ie Z1N, MungLabs, ATX, TCMaker…) let alone found more to do here than any where’s else save for maybe ATX those guys know how to party with Tesla Coils.

3 Likes

Same here. DMS is a better fit for what I want out of a makerspace though I primarily work on soft/firmware.

1 Like

Was that how we wound up with the “bus?”

That happened sometime afterwards. The bus was on the verge of being towed, thus rather than having it be worth negative dollars they offered it to us.

From my understanding the Plano location is currently stuck with a long term lease and cannot expand. They also have a slow internet connection that cannot be upgraded without some big bucks being investment. There is a high speed link across the street but not willing to pay to have it run underground to them. There was an open location on the other side of the Pizza place several months ago. Don’t know what came of that.

2 Likes