Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - July 2018

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

There are many wonderful projects that can be seen on last month’s Show & Tell, visible at this link.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

Mr. Raku Racoon from ceramics event in collaboration with Trinity. Made pieces to learn a new process.

19 Likes

Like it! Like it! Like it!
I love the entire Raku process. Wish I had more time to take on another hobby.

3 Likes

Quick coasters I made as well as my first attempt with the plasma cutter and powder coat oven last night with the humming bird.

16 Likes

Some bourbon glasses John helped immensely with.

17 Likes

We made some leather notebooks today!

20 Likes

Took a fun leather class tonight, Midori style notebook (can remove and switch out page signature groups needed). Hadn’t dyed leather yet, so that was a new thing. And it’s a fast fun project that I’ll be making more of. Great teacher. Thx Steve! @Lordrook

18 Likes

I made a wand this week. Ebony handle, Padauk shaft, amethyst inlay, and a chevron amethyst sphere on the end.

20 Likes

Made a cedar valet tray for a colleague who was leaving on the Multicam CNC.

Another shot for size perspective.

Pretty quick project, but one I had been wanting to try for a while.

27 Likes

Made a conductive silly putty heart beat sensor. Had to modify the formulation of store bought silly putty to achieve this sensitivity. Next up is attempting to detect ants walking across it. Sorry for no pic of actual sensor… my phone is charging… imagine silly putty that is black.

14 Likes

Finished an apron for my mom… Very rushed job

First time doing the prep work on the leather, I need lots more practice.

21 Likes

This mornings wand making class on the lathe. The class took a little longer than I anticipated, but the extra time was well spent. Everyone’s wand looked fantastic!

18 Likes

I started these last month and got them finished up yesterday. A couple of mixed wood cutting boards.

25 Likes

Fusing glass and getting ready for classes!

20 Likes

I saw these in person. Hard to believe it’s possible, but they are even better in person than they look online.

4 Likes

Is this related to the paper for upcoming journal club? I didn’t realize you were already experimenting with this stuff. That’s awesome!

-Jessica

I was inspired to make a birthday present for a friend after John’s acid-etched glass class. It’s a fairly easy process using a vinyl stencil and Armour Etch glass etching cream. This is three different sides of the same glass under normal lighting, and a fourth view looking up at the ceiling to show how the pattern pops when it’s back-lit. Thank you John Gorman ( @talkers ) for teaching how to do this. :slight_smile:

31 Likes

They look great, much better defined than the ones I did on the laser. Didn’t even know that was an option (but now I do)!

1 Like

Yes, what I made here was very similar to the paper I’ll be talking about journal club. I’ve been playing with this stuff for a few months but had a breakthrough last week making it more sensitive. Thank you!

1 Like