Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - January 2019

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

Who wants to be the first for the year??

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
1 Like

• a notation about WHAT you’ve made
    I made two signs to gift to family members for Christmas using the Multicam.

• WHO you are ( for attribution on the blog )
    IG (just started this one so there’s barely anything right now): @kihikihicreations

• HOW you’ve made it
    Used Multicam

• and WHY
    Just because :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Made a carbon fiber deck and plastic enclosure for an electric skateboard. Most of the plastic enclosure was made at the makerspace. Most of the deck itself was made off site but elements of the mold for it were done at the space. All photography was done at the space (special thanks to Adnan for helping me out with the new camera gear, and to Kee for helping with the design work.)

24 Likes

Crushed Obsidian and a thermochromic pigment inlay that turns from a clear/light blue to a dark blue in the cold on a Ash Burl with Etimoe Smoked inner band.
Greg (Jeeves)
Bentwood ring and turned on the lathe
Winter is coming?

Coolibah burl and Resin knife handles
Greg (Jeeves)
Green alcohol ink with swirls of mat black, blue pearl, and white pearl pressure cast and then cut and shaped.

33 Likes

A modern day (and much more attractive) Mood Ring?

Both the ring and knife handle are GORGEOUS!

Same concept but it will only gets darker like that when you go outside in the winter…or put it in the freezer. Pretty neat as a seasonal ring and seeing it change when going from outdoors/indoors.

Pigment was from solarcolordust.com and @lordrook group buy.

Happy 2019 - Wanted to share one of my new years LED light show using Rasberry Pi/Pixlite controller/XLIGHTS software/FM Transmitter. Ornaments were cut using Thunder in pieces and assembled for larger ornaments w/leds. More than willing to teach a class on this later this year. I plan on building a Float for a high school using same LED setup later this year also.

Link to video: https://vimeo.com/309106074
https://vimeo.com/309106074

18 Likes

Not the best pictures but I made a “nebula” pen. Not bad for the first iteration.

19 Likes

I’d love to put one of these together for next year.

1 Like

Jorge,

Send me an email reminder around September and I’ll setup a class.

Steve

2 Likes

Oooh. Ahhhhh!

1 Like

I want in on that class to then later take it to several Scout groups to help them make a luggable or towable mobile display float etc.

1 Like

Dye sub stuff.

10 Likes

Doug,

I plan on holding a class later this year ~ September before the holidays and will share my float design also.

Steve

2 Likes

Count me in, too!! Sometime earlier in the year, would you be able to identify the rudimentary “this is what you need to know” in order to be able to understand the class? Some of us are coming from a much lower baseline. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chris for sure. I’ll sendout a power point of configurations and what software to load (free software!).

Great Idea.

Steve

2 Likes

Beautiful work. I’m new…would love to try this project

I got this flask from Tandy in Irving (still open, same location, now closed on Sundays) on clearance for $8. I got a double shoulder (think it was 5-7oz?, The thinner one) on clearance for $40.

Lessons:
Have a better pattern in mind before starting, especially for the letter have it printed

You can dilute/lighten the brown dye using the leather finish

I used black walnut oil stain on the edges, it seemed to work fine and not affect the leather dye but it does sink into the leather.

That barge cement to stick it on really works well when you use as per the directions. Really well, especially when you don’t have it lined up just right.

Time to test it out.

12 Likes

I printed half of a Sierpinski octahedron with six levels. It turned out very nice! If you want to print one too the file is on Thingiverse (not my design).

I made it 200mm which is bigger than the original design and I used Hilbert curve top and bottom layers. Why not go all in on fractals? It took around 152 hours to print, used around 700 grams of filament, and it took around 20 minutes to slice with a beefy computer. I was worried about printing a 297MB G-code file from an SD card but it did great.

I think the last time I posted in the show and tell is when I assembled the printer. Maybe this is a good time to do an update on that. In the 165 days since then it has been printing for 132 days (3,168 hours and 12 minutes to be exact). It has been a joy to use and extraordinarily reliable. If you’re considering getting a 3D printer then check out the Prusa i3 MK3 kit.

29 Likes