Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - September 2017

cool! are teaching a class on this?

what is this? I don’t follow, it is a mold or a press for a wallet?

yes, same thing I’ve been showing for the last 6 months.

I’d love to see how you did this. My son is asking to make a 20 sided dice out of aluminum or steel. We did one in acrylic, but it was a mess to try and piece together.

You can see gen1 here

I’m doing acrylic too. It’s more of a pain than youd think if you want good edges. It’s just plasma cut flat and manhandled into shape

this is an EAG (eagle/globe/anchor) I cut for tour night on the HAAS. It was a great crowd with lots of questions. thanks to Fired arts we tried it out a couple of times in clay. worked well once the clay was firm enough. Gave high confidence it worked out. cheers!

12 Likes

An embossing plate is used (usually with a beefy press) to press an impression into a leather blank. I believe this is a blank for the outside of a leather wallet, and it has a blank ribbon area for personalizing with letter stamps or other tooling.

3 Likes

I used Esri to grab a base layer + sat images and create contours of different levels, example below.
Lasered the results.

I’m glad a lot of people have enjoyed this piece! :blush:

16 Likes

Here is the well-known Instructables on how this can be done.

3 Likes

can you show how to make it please???

Adding to Josh’s request, this would make a nice intermediate Laser class: demonstrate/teach all the steps needed to it. probably have a good turn-out. People that have seen it are impressed.

4 Likes

@nicksilva was kind enough to help me work through running my post-domino project on the Haas – a keychain bottle opener/pry bar. We ran into some issues so I wasn’t able to complete all operations I planned on. I definitely learned a lot of valuable lessons, so I think my next project will run much smoother.

12 Likes

Yarn bowl created during class with Shirley and Christy. Thanks for the great class,I look forward to making another!

24 Likes

Do you really use “yarn” in the bowl? Or is that just what a curly cue bowl is called? Or is it specific bowl to hold yarn? Or…?

It really is for yarn. While knitting or crocheting, it keeps the ball of yarn from rolling around the floor and having cats chase it :grinning: The little holes on the side are for needles or hooks.

4 Likes

Ok that makes sense. It’s not only beautiful, but functional too!! My 2 favorite things.

1 Like

Ryan here

I created this sculpted eagle for an event to stand in front of a podium.

20 Likes

Learned how to use the Silhouette Cameo tonight in Lisa’s class. I cut a chicken silhouette out of heat vinyl and heat pressed it onto the bag. My chickens are going to love it. I plan to make themed bags for the family for Christmas and pit their gifts in them.

19 Likes