Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - May 2017

Thank you @LisaSelk for the impromptu early morning dye sublimation class. @Paul_Mai is delighted, @JRyan_Artist @benhubel and I have new skills.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Thanks to an impromptu pen class from Chandra, I turned 3 pens this weekend.

Purple heart, walnut and bocote (in that order)

15 Likes

Here are a couple of things that I am working on for Mother’s Day.

I folded this origami rose before the lathe class, last Friday. It was folded from a 12"x12" piece of red wrinkled scrapbook paper. Between the main rose, center portion, and the shaping, there is well over 100 individual folds per rose.

This was my first attempt (not my last) at making a popup card. It was all made from white cardstock (one piece of red construction) colored / decorated with some good old Dollar Tree markers. I need to use different glue. You can see parts pulled free, near the center.

15 Likes

Made a Doomsday Clock for predicting doom! :wink:

10 Likes

I like it, but I think it’s running slow.

3 Likes

Last year I sloppily designed and laser cut a seal press so I could install a seal on my truck without jacking it up (and save like $100 compared to the GM tool). I kept it on the off chance I’d need to press another seal the same size which at the time I figured was never going to happen. Well, turns out I needed it which is both good and bad.

I got everything apart and then back together again. I forgot to plug a wire back in for the 4WD actuator but other than that it seems good. No leaks!

Once I plug the 4WD actuator back in it should be good to go and the warning should go away. Knock on (laser cut) wood?

13 Likes

New screen avail for PR and great new screen printers.

A special thanks to Kat for the experienced help.

20 Likes

So much goodness this month!!

4 Likes

Laser tumblers made today in and after class.

@mediccby made one for his graduating daughter.

I made a couple for Jayson.

12 Likes

Buttons!!! Fun class tonight.

End results. Tanner with a clever one, among many.

A few demos

10 Likes

As soon as I can find some time to cut this, I will - a solution to a cat that likes to gnaw on USB cables charging phones overnight (but wisely refuses to nibble on AC cords).

10 Likes

How did your cat learn to not nibble on AC cords?

No idea, but it avoids them judiciously. I suspect it has something to do with their thickness and lack of pliability relative to USB cords as opposed to nearly (un)naturally selecting itself out of existence.

3 Likes

Drew this up in Fusion 360 earlier in the week at home. Exported & cut it on the Plasmacam. Welded it together. I haven’t mounted to the wall yet for the tungsten bench grinder. I was able to check the fit in Fusion and found 1 error.

You can see where the consumables really started messing up in the pic above.

11 Likes

Used my newfound knowledge from @talkers’ Midnight Makers vinyl cutting class to make some bling for my wife’s laptop lid.

19 Likes

Hey! That looks great @HankCowdog

Had fun last night, and this morning, making characters with @artnerdray for the next Stop Motion Goof.

16 Likes

this is a companion piece to the firefighter I put up last month with the resulting embossing. 3" piece of brass for a wallet back plate.

12 Likes

My son made a big Mothers Day Card-board on the Thunder.

20 Likes

Here is the rest of the Mother’s Day roses and pop up cards I worked on while waiting in the laser queue. :wink: One card previously posted.

12 Likes