Dallas Makerspace Show and Tell - March 2017

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
1 Like

One of the charms I was playing with on the Metaza last night.
It’s also why they don’t let me play unsupervised very much. This was the least offensive of 3.
I will probably do a side by side comparison of the Metaza engraved charm and one in which I use
Cermark and laser it. Just as soon as I catch a break. cheers!

9 Likes

Well the other show and tell thread is closed but I finally finished the table I posted about in that thread on March 1st. Here it is out in the sunlight ready to be carted back home.

16 Likes

Here is the neck piece that I made in the worbla class tonight! Worbla is kewl stuff ~ Thanks for the awesome class @Kriskat30! :smiley:

13 Likes

I love this. Can I steal it to make a bookmark with this on there? I have the “Go the F*** to Sleep” children’s book for my son, and I can’t think of a better page marker to go with it than this. :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Ha ha. Sure!

I finally learned how to use the sergers and sewing machines we have today! :smile:

7 Likes

Is there a jealous emoji I’m missing?

1 Like

LOL ~ no green faces, but this fella is green :ghost:
(kinda too cute for jealousy though hehe…)

2 Likes

Ayden got arty with a beautiful chunk of mdf scrap. I love this soooo much.

14 Likes

My first successful 3-d print! I’m not entirely happy with the hardware situation and may redesign the camera platform so it retains the camera-attaching-bolt-thingy. And, well, it printed with a weird raft that I forgot to turn off so all the pieces have a strange grid on one side. I may re-print with more infill and thicker skin, but this works for now.

Edit: full disclosure, this is from Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1460181

12 Likes

Yesterday I delivered my first big DMS project to my mother for her birthday. It is a bedside table with a cedar top and steel base. (Yes, it weighs a ton.) Top was cut to have a 45 degree angle on the Multicam so it fits with a bed placed in the corner on a diagonal. Only took me 8 months from idea to completion on this! Thanks to all for the classes and advice through the project. Learned a ton and now I am looking forward to the next projects.

17 Likes

Beautiful! And it clearly uses a lot of different types of skills. Well done. I’m sure she will really enjoy it.

The wood is also beautiful. What kind of wood is it?

1 Like

:slight_smile:
I’m wondering if it’s left aromatic, or finished…

1 Like

@John_Marlow and @jast, I originally was going to do a cherry top but it wasn’t turning out like I wanted and the scale was wrong (too thin). At 11th hour, I switched to cedar. It was a couple cedar 4x4s from Home Depot that are supposed to be fence posts! Used the band saw to make them 2X4s and I was off and running. Finish is several coats of poly to protect if a glass is left on it. (And base finish is black primer followed by a black “hammered” spray paint.)

5 Likes

Nice project. It would make for a great “make and take” advanced metal/wood class.

1 Like

Just don’t make it triangular! Way too much time involved in the angles…

3 Likes

A six-month project class. I’m in! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve created a new thread for continued discussion about this being a potential “Make & Take” Advanced metal/wood class (and any other general discussion about this particular project) so y’all can focus on it as much as y’all want outside of this “Show & Tell” thread. :wink:

BTW ~ I do agree that it’s a beautiful (and solid) piece! Your mother is very lucky! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
…and, that it would make a great project! :smiley:

1 Like

Replaced pads and rotors on my car, giant torque wrench comes in handy when torquing caliper bolts to 162 ft lbs

5 Likes