Cutting Plastics/PVC and Acrylic

Are there specific machines to cut Plastics/PVC/Acrylic on? I wanted to use a table saw to split a sheet of acrylic and one of the bandsaws to slice off some end caps from glued pvc pipes; however, most of the equipment says “wood only” as well as everyone else just cutting wood. Anyhow, I didn’t want to break any rules, so are there separate machines or is it acceptable to use the woodshop machines for plastics?

table saws are ok, though you need a different blade than what is generally left on and some operational changes.

In the drawers under the mitre saw there is sometimes a blade suitable for plastic. You need a far higher tooth count than what is generally left on. If there is not one there you can bring one.

When operating the saw, you need to close the blast gate and clean the saw manually. Acrylic tends to get stringy coming off the table and has a tendency to clog the dust collection. The powermatic and one of the high tooth count blades works very well.

As for the band saws I’m less certain, but for cutting off end caps that seems like something you can do with one of the other many tools around DMS. I think there is a ryobi reciprocating saw in the workshop.

The multicam can do plastics as well, but there is a separate class (the ongoing joke is the instructor keeps saying “next month” he’ll do the class, but in the end he’ll often just give a one on one with what you are working on. Same issue with the DC, you have to follow the head with a shop vac)

2 Likes

@nicksilva

What are the rules for cutting plastic with the band saw in the Machine Shop?

I was once OKed to use the horizontal band saw in the Metal Shop for plastic. I cannot say whether the current rules still allow it.

In any case, clean up well afterward.

4 Likes

Hello. No problem cutting plastic so long as you set the correct speed per the chart and put it back for aluminum afterwards

5 Likes

Believe the right table saw blade is in the locked cabinet so you’ll need to get with someone from the committee to grab it.