Cutting Bronze Bar Tonight

Hi,
i need to cut some lengths 2 cuts (1-2" each) of some aluminum bronze. It’s fairly hard 170 Bhn, stainless is around 200-220.

can someone help me out tonight? precision doesn’t matter as i am going to melt it anyway. i have a 1" diameter bar 13" long.

i will be at the space around 6-6:30pm. not sure if i should use the metal bandsaw in the welding area

the bandsaw should work fine for this, as long as you let the blade do the work.

The only note is please do not place any excess cutoffs of this in the scrap bin or heat it unless you confirm your bronze alloy doesn’t have a zinc additive.

Cheers,
-Jim

Jim,
confirmed it is alloyC954 wich is AL, CU,NI,FE,MN…0%Zn.

The horizontal in the welding area correct? and i will make sure no scrap ends up in the bin

yup, depending on who used it last may be on either side of the welding curtain. Move it around as needed as long as it goes back. There is a roller support stand that gets stored under the welding table.

Scrap is fine since you know it’s a non-zinc alloy; the concern would reside in someone doing something like welding practice or looking for an oven support not knowing there was zinc in the metal.

-Jim