Current classroom rules?

I literally JUST added Eric to the wiki admin group - I wasn’t aware this was needed. Give it 15 mins and he should be able to update it

My use of the word private is really in reference to a recurring situation where people who have no signed up for a class or event attempt to attend. This has happened multiple times, and it is pretty awkward on both sides when I need to ask them to leave. If I need to change the wording, I can.

I didn’t see that anywhere in the description, again:

Ah. I can see why you said “private”. I’ve had members walk into my (paid) classes and want to listen/participate. I put a limit on the # of students to ensure quality of instruction.

While I think that’s rather rude, some others can’t quite get the message. How do we handle that?

1 Like

Perhaps a sign that says “PAID EVENT - You must have signed up and paid on the calendar system” outside the classroom?
If that doesn’t work, then I think it’s totally appropriate to ask them to leave. It’s not a free class, and they haven’t paid…

The another question is: How do we control access to events to actually enforce registration and not just have a free-for-all despite limited space?

This had been posted in the new calendar thread: New Calendar and Honorarium process

Yeah, that could work, but, like Patrick, I feel like an ass telling them to leave. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve had someone actually attempt to argue with me about it. It’s also awkward for the people already in the class and really just sets a bad tone.

Exactly this. I had an event where I had purposefully limited the attendance to a small number of people because of the expected number of questions and limited time.

In your Thunder Laser example it should be rejected because it reserved a tool for other than a class.

There has always been a policy in place that tools can not be reserved EXCEPT for classes. Weve always, inthe 3 years I’ve been here always been First Come First served.

I believe the last BoD meeting also addressed some aspects of Private Events.

Whose Thunder laser example?

Probably in a different thread I read used an example.

Sorry. But the rule still applies: class only can reserve tools. Only exceptions I can think of are DMS sponsored PR events and tools when the Lemons car goes somewhere to breakdown.

Ok, but this doesn’t have anything to do with tools

Thunder Laser example was not quite analogous to this event, which was not an attempt to reserve a resource for the benefit of a single individual or clique. Based on the description, this event was reasonably open to all interested persons and should have been allowed.

As a result of the rule change, I’ve been working on a formulation for how we qualify classes, events, work days, DMS business, etc. General idea is you sum the points for each category. Negative to zero points, your event is not approved; positive points, your event is approved - albeit a competing event for the same resources with more points could bump it.

Attached is a preliminary draft of this process.

DMS Events.pdf (578.0 KB)

Attendance

• Restricted (-1): Limits on attendance

This one I’ve got a beef with: you’d call a class “better” because you pack a classroom with so many people you can’t get to all of their questions?

and:

Duration (-1) for anything over 1 hour? Some topics can’t be done in one hour.

Two things:

• It’s preliminary
  • You sum the points in all categories

One thing that seems to help (a little) is to include the words “TICKET REQUIRED” in the title of your class. Then everyone who sees it on the calendar sees the words “TICKET REQUIRED”. When the daily Calendar summary is printed (so that people can find the right classroom) those words “TICKET REQUIRED” also print.

I preprint a sign-in sheet with only the names of the people who have preregistered (i.e., have a “ticket”). The title says “Ticketed Participants”. That also helps to get the message across.

If you print a sign for the door that says, “If you have a ticket, please sign in” and partially close the door, that helps a little too. Or completely close the door and put a sign on the outside that says “XYZ Class; closed attendance”.

It’s tough to have to be the enforcer, but it’s unfair to the other participants. I sometimes tell people that I’m sorry but the event is completely filled/sold-out and they can stay only if there is a no-show.

3 Likes

I think part of the confusion here is for example what is written here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

“We prefer that events be free and open to the public, but this is not required.”

Understood.

With the Duration scale as it is now, we’d never have board meetings. Too long. :slight_smile:

1 Like

very well put. And if someone has not shown up at start, that still doesn’t mean they’re not just running late. when they ask if they can pay and stay, just say no.