CTF - Could we do online

@denzuko - Can we connect online to the CTF servers? 9:00 PM is too late for me, so just wanted to check.

I would be curious if we could have ctf challenges just in general that are available.

The only sandbox ones I’m finding online have to do with little sly trick with cat and vim to teach general linux trickery rather than real world encounters.

I assume the reason for the in person ctf challenge is because it does count as credit for some cert or another.

@srini @brenly The CTF servers are air gapped so yes one does have to attend in person for not just that reason but also because this does count for one’s 120 continuing professional education (CPE) credits as required to maintain one’s CISSP certification.

@brently As for the general ctf challenges available that’s actually a goal of ours to setup with ctf.dallasmakerspace.org. We’re needing volunteers to help us populate it with simple programming, networking, and administration challenges one can do for fun in between the CTF events.

1 Like

https://backdoor.sdslabs.co/ <---- pretty good entry-level CTF. I used to spend a lot of time on the smashthestack wargames, and I’ve just started getting into HackTheBox.

If you’re looking for “real life,” that’s harder to find. CTFs tend to involve solving gimmicky puzzles by design. It’s difficult to find challenges that mirror IRL security engagements, though HackTheBox has AD labs you can pay for.

that mirror IRL security engagements

That’s actually why we run this air gapped. @Team_VCC has a couple blade servers, cisco switches and wireless access points that we bring in with real life setups. The first stage is access then elevation.

1 Like

Could we setup something for online CTF for regular use (could be only for members). Not sure what would it take.

1 Like

Awesome! I am excited to participate, though my net-pen experience is pretty thin so I’ll probably be one of the junior participants.

I was just offering suggestions to brenly re: existing remotely-accessible wargames that at least have some IRL security value (teaching reversing/exploitation concepts) rather than just being puzzles that rely on arcane knowledge of cat and vim.

2 Likes

No worries, those are good suggestions and most of the individuals that attend are on the junior side. Though look out for Team Awesome they took lead on the last few ctfs :wink:

1 Like

Could we setup something for online CTF for regular use

yes, so we need to get a workgroup together and start writing up challenges so we can put them on ctf.dallasmakerspace.org.

What kind of challenges should we have?

1 Like