Creaking sound coming from front end -need help diagnosing it

Hey all,

I am trying to chase down where the creaking sound is coming from on my truck. I thought it was the shocks so I replaced them and I am still getting a creaking sound. I hear that sound whenever I turn the steering wheel or drive down the road. I also hear it I am parked and push on the front bumper. It is coming from both sides of the truck.

I am thinking my next move is to replace the coil springs and or the upper/lower control arms.

I don’t want to replace the whole front end if it’s not necessary but If I must then that’s what I have to do. Any ideas on how to diagnose this would be appreciated.

2003 Dodge Ram 2WD.
160,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

A person really needs to see the vehicle to render a more reliable diagnosis, but experientially these sounds tend to be caused by ball joints which creak. Second leading cause being bushings, anti roll bar being more popular than control arm bushings for this kind of thing…

How to diagnose? Get under it, bounce it, and listen and feel each component in turn.

Interestingly conversely, though, I did just diagnose a set of bad McPherson strut bearings causing noise when turning about a month ago. But your truck doesn’t have those.

1 Like

Possibly also tie rod ends. Though ball joints are more likely. On some vehicles, sway bar end links can also be a culprit.

1 Like

My son’s Jetta does that on bumps. It was the sway bar bushings.

1 Like

I’m gonna bring it in put it on the list and see if I can track down where that Creek is coming from start randomly replacing more parts…

Thank you for the suggestions