Consumer Reports Annual Auto Survey

@TLAR - Tom, what are your thoughts on Seafoam to get rid of the carbon buildup?

The Miata crowd has used it for years with great results.

Interesting stuff.

Raymond,

Seafoam or any other product used to remove carbon from intake ports and valve stems won’t do anything for a Direct Injection engine.

I haven’t used Seafoam on anything but I have used Lubro-Moly products.

Ferman,

Sea Foam hires a mechanic to prove it works…no conflict of interest there right???

The before and after photos in the article are not even close to what is found in real engines today with direct injection that get to the point of a check engine light / random misfire/ loss of power due to carbon build up. Not even close.Audi

This is what is usually found behind the valves in modern Direct Injection intake ports and valves.

3 Likes

That’s why a conscientious owner will seafoam the engine every oil change. And don’t forget the key: repeat as many times as needed (Seafoam by the case? Yep, we got it!).
(Please don’t mistake my sarcasm for an opinion; I have no opinion on whether YOU should seafoam YOUR application or not nor whether it just might work or not!)

2 Likes

4 Likes

Wonder what effect, if any, some of this “run through the engine” stuff has on the oxygen sensor(s) (and plugs).
Contamination used to be a problem - even w/ certain sealants.

none of that is of any concern - unless there is a disclaimer somewhere on the container

Of course there isn’t . :smile:

This what caught my interest. What a pitch.

2 Likes

I would think you would vacuum line it if you wanted it to hit the intake valves. Not that I would recommend that. It’s definitely a last-resort kind of tool.

Ran across this in Wards Auto enews.

Looks very much like a Mazda 3 hb
Engine specs are very interesting. Mech CR of 13:1 - matches current Skyactive G
Specs lacking octane requirement and mpg.
Googling the D-4S fuel system yielded some interesting info/comments.
Available w/ 6 spd man
Might be good alternative to Mazda’s upcoming Skyactive X

2 Likes

Interesting looking fascia. It’s either a face with a tongue sticking out or an exclaiming/shouting mouth.

Some while back certain reviewers/mags said Mazda needed to get rid of the “smiley” grill. Shows where some folks priorities are…

They’re not wrong…

Happy car
Smiley grill