CNC Router info thread

Thanks, Alex. I’ve got files on standby, now I just need either certification or a grown-up to handle the scissors.

I misspoke when I said “some”. I believe that is a complete list of import file types for Enroute.

I’ll forgive you…this time…

Yes it is possible to machine carbon fiber on a CNC router, but it generates hazardous dust. Not sure if everyone would be ok with that.

1 Like

I for one think we should prohibit it.

1 Like

There are a multitude of files you can use to create carvings from.

There is something to keep in mind though. A 3 Axis system will only carve in relief more commonly refereed to a 2.5D. The difference is that you only carve on one side of the material, yes you can turn the material over and carve on the back and edges but it’s still a separate carving for each side. Importing a 3D file requires a little bit of manipulation to “Project” it on to a surface for a 2.5D carving. In essence, that Bust you found of Yoda on Thingaverse will need to be converted into a relief before you can get a good carving of it.

Those of you interested in turning 3D files into 2.5D carvings should take look at Blender ( http://www.blender.org/ ) and Relief or Grayscale files. Blender isn’t the only program that will create 2.5D files, but it has the best price FREE. And it’s a very good program.

1 Like

Actually 2.5D usually means the X&Y axes can move at the same time but the Z can only move when the X&Y are staying still. i.e. the part is mostly flat and simple.

I think you are thinking of machine that are 5 axis. They can do undercuts from X&Y. 3 axis needs special tooling to do limited undercuts.

Thanks,

Alyssa

When talking about CNC, what Alyssa said about 2.5D is dead on. The difference between 2.5D and 3D in CAM software is typically $ and time :smile:

It is confusing (and tripped me up at first when learning about Haas) in that the term “2.5D” is used in computer graphics a lot when talking about typical landscape engines (“no overhangs”).

2.5D refers to a surface which is a projection of a plane into 3rd dimension – although the object is 3-dimensional, there are no overhanging elements possible. Objects of this type are often represented as a contour map, or a bias relief carvings. that gives the height (i.e., thickness or depth) of the object at each point,

2.5D objects are often greatly preferred for machining, as it is easy to generate G-code for them in an efficient, often close to optimal fashion, while optimal cutting tool paths for true 3-dimensional objects

From that same page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.5D_(machining) ), the 2.5D term that is in my experience more often used when discussing CAM software (emphasis mine):

“A 2.5D machine, also called a two-and-a-half-axis mill, possesses the capability to translate in all three axes but can perform the cutting operation only in two of the three axes at a time due to hardware or software limitations, or a machine that has a solenoid instead of a true, linear Z axis. A typical example involves an XY table that positions for each hole center, where the spindle (Z-axis) then completes a fixed cycle for drilling by plunging and retracting axially. The code for a 2.5D machining is significantly less than 3D contour machining, and the software and hardware requirements are (traditionally) less expensive.”

If you hear 2.5D discussed in the Haas class or by other people in the Machineshop Committee, this is probably what they’re talking about.

An example of pricing differences btw: http://cam.autodesk.com/pricing/

Multicam makes 5 axis CNC routers too BTW, but they are much more expensive:

which computer has enroute? I’d like to see if my files will take.
thanks

1 Like

The CAD/CAM PC in the room behind the Enco mill.

1 Like

Any updates on class scheduling for the cnc router?

We are in the process of creating the tooling library in enroute. We will be getting scrap pieces of different materials to test safest speeds and feeds for the bits. We are trying to make it as point and click as possible so people don’t have to worry too much about speeds and feeds.

Plan is to have the first class in early March.

10 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Can’t wait! Thanks for all of the work put into setting things up :smile:

We got a new 5’x10’ spoilboard on the router and surfaced both sides yesterday. We also did some testing with different bits on different materials.

9 Likes

Since Lexan is verboten in the laser cutter, I expect it would be a good candidate for CNC, yes?

Regarding bits for cutting Lexan/PETG/acrylic… Alyssa you mentioned they are expensive. Like, what kind of expensive are we talking about? I assume we will be buying our own bits.

1 Like

The prices vary lots depending on the type and size of bit, for example for hard plastics like acrylic, one bit can between $17 and $200. See here http://www.amtcnc.com/osc/index.php?cName=cnc-router-bits-plastic-hard

Onsrud make a special polishing tool made of carbide covered in diamond dust that gives an optically clear edge, get ready for sticker shock though - they are between $1053-$1772 :open_mouth:
http://www.onsrud.com/files/pdf/LMT-Onsrud-PCD-Polishing-List-Prices-2013.pdf