Classes wanted or needed

Lets us this thread to list classes that we want or even needed more of in the New year

This was inspired by the discussion watercolor classes

We know that more of the basic classes are needed. This is for classes that
we need more of or that might be needed at a different time

3 Likes

I will start with my list

More classes in the computer programs needed to use the CNC machines
We have some but I feel we could use more, Inkscape, Illusrators and such

Taking good product pictures with cell phone camera, and editing them and uploading them

More project classes on various tools

1 Like

Some more metal working and blacksmithing classes would be appreciated

9 Likes

I am beginner in the woodshop and would appreciate small project classes to get me use to using equipment. Maybe shadow boxes done on the table saw. Picture frames using the router and miter saw.

Thank you

17 Likes

Pottery and welding classes would be nice!

2 Likes

What type of pottery classes, general or for certain items or skill sets?

1 Like

Incra Router. :blankspace:

6 Likes

I know next to nothing about pottery so a general overview class would be helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, Multicam CNC router

2 Likes

We have 2 different sets on throwing, one structured and oen more unstrutured

Different handbuilding classes show up from time to time, I will see about buptting
together a pinch pot class later in Jan Fired Arts is redoing their areas so we have more room for classes

1 Like

I’ll make sure to keep an eye out. Thanks!

Echoing @meanbaby’s proposal:

I am new to DMS and currently most interested in learning the woodshop. A frame or shadowbox project is a really cool idea, I’d definitely sign up. I’d even like to build a small table or plant stand to improve my mortise and tenon joint skills.

Looking forward to my very first class tonight, Wood Lathe Basics. Thanks for starting this thread @Cairenn_Day!

3 Likes

I just got a class approved at DMS; here’s the link

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4830

4 Likes

Depending on the interest, i might also do other classes about stuff like birdhouses, shadow boxes, regular boxes (seriously, hinges are harder then you think), cutting boards, etc.

6 Likes

More wood turning and other woodshop classes like furniture making.

Induction forge classes as well as more blacksmithing.

Silicon, acrilic and other molding.

CNC and plasma cutter.

1 Like

Love your list.
Want to clarify:
CNC Woodshop router (MultiCAM)?
CNC Metal Mill (HAAS)?
CNC Plasma Cutter (PlasmaCAM)?
CNC Lathe (Sherline)?
CNC for 3D Printing (Polyprinters, Form2, etc. )
CNC theory in general?
Not trying to pick on you, just wanting to clarify that “CNC” is a bit open-ended. I suspect you mean “all of the above”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You left off the laser cutters, shapeoko, and CNC PCB mill all of which share the same concepts. It’s truly amazing how many CNC tools we have to fabricate things. My recommendation to anyone wanting to learn any or all of these tools is to focus on learning 2d and 3D software first (Inkscape, adobe illustrator, solidworks, fusion360, etc.).

1 Like

Adding to that: CNC including learning the various modeling programs such Fusion 360 and Solid Works

2 Likes

Really all but specfically for me CNC woodshop.

1 Like

Amen, brother! I’ve been waiting for months for someone to point out that CNC is an adjective, not the name of a machine.

3 Likes