Clarification for woodshop classes

Howdy, I am a new member and I’m having trouble locating the requirements to use the wood shop. From what I have gathered so far is the woodshop basics 101 is different from woodshop 1-4. What tools are allowed for use after taking woodshop basics 101? What tools you allowed to use after taking woodshop 1-4? Also I am only seeing 1-3 classes available on the events page, what happened to 4? Sorry if this is all explained somewhere but I am having no luck finding any of this on the wiki or in old posts.

Thank you,
Sam

Woodshop is in the midst of transitioning to a new class structure. The proposed structure is defined here:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/new-woodshop-class-structure-coming-soon/49037

That should give you a hint of what’s coming, but I don’t know where they are in the transition.

I also believe that right this very minute they are doing woodshop maintenance, so you can likely wander out there and meet some of the folks and get your questions answered in person.

Woodshop 101 is being discontinued, Woodshop 1 through 4 will be taking the place of 101 and 102. Woodshop 101 would teach the miter saw, table saw, jointer and planer, and give you access to the whole wood shop. Because there is a new RFID system that will be installed during expansion across every tool In the Woodshop, training will be required to access each individual tool. Woodshop 1, 2, 3 and 4 are designed with this in mind. They will give you access and training on every tool in the Woodshop except the lathes and multicam, which are still separate classes. When the new RFID reader is installed, Woodshop 101 will only give you access to the tools covered in that course. If you would like to access additional tools that are not covered in that course, you will have to take the additional classes that cover them. To save from having to do this if you have never taken a Woodshop class before, it would benefit you to start with Woodshop 1 instead of woodshop 101. Woodshop 4 is still under development, and the drill press will need to be repaired before the class will be given. There are many other classes in the development stages as well. These are mostly outlined in the post listed above.

1 Like

And to clarify, based upon my understanding from talking w/you, each class will give one access to any tools taught in that class, e.g. new Woodshop 1 covers Woodshop safety, mandatory behavior/rules, dust control/dust collector clean-up, geometry, basic wood technology, and the miter saw. So after successful completion, woodshop users will be responsible for following W/S rules, emptying dust collector, and have access to the miter saw. And so on with next class, etc. In other words, you don’t have to take all; classes. If all you ever want to do is cross-cut 2x4s into successively smaller pieces all day, all you need to take is Woodshop1. Correct?

Yes, and more characters

How do these new classes apply to those of us who have been using the woodshop and have taken Woodshop 101?

If we’ve taken the old course will we be grandfathered into the new system or do we have to take the new woodshop classes as well?

From the previous thread - there is/going to be a way, though might still be a work in progress.

1 Like

@Mrksls2 I’m new to Dallas & the Makerspace. I have just registered for Woodshop 1 on Monday and would also like to register for 2 & 3 on Tuesday & Wednesday, but the system will not allow me to do so since I have not fulfilled the prerequisite requirement. As the classes seem to fill up pretty quickly, is there a way to sign up for all three? Thanks!

2 Likes

No, but there are other Woodshop X classes which will show up in a few days.