Cinder Blocks for Tiny Buildings

Of potential interest to @John_Marlow and others who work in the small…

They are, however, wretchedly expensive. Perhaps the first step is building a machine that makes those tiny blocks.

2 Likes

I think you could probably 3D print some, then make a mold from the 3D printed ones, and then cast your own - probably from grout.

Sounds like fun to me …

4 Likes

Something like this mixed with gray paint or whatever might work better. It pours smoother and probably stronger than actual cement at that scale.

1 Like

Sanded grout may either wind up out of the mold with a very block like texture, or could develop one with a light blasting or etching. My recollection of the durhams is that it will likely be stronger, it will also be very smooth, and maybe even a touch shiny coming out of a smooth mold. So both appear to be compromises to me.

1 Like

I agree you’d need to blast it to get a fine texture which would be appropriate for that scale. But it would be very strong and less likely to crumble than grout at those dimensions. Grout between tiles is supported om all but up.

Resin would work, again need blasting, but a lot more mess. Putty, add water and pour.

I don’t know how old their label is, but it’s at l;east 55 years old, I remember my dad having some in garage. Very memorable design. I didn’t remember the name “Durham” but Googled “Rock hard” putty.

The silicone mold made from a 3D print is good idea. It flexes and easy to release.

1 Like

I LOVE Durham s Rock Hard wood putty, It is great material

Back when I had all my Irish Setters, they liked to look out the window in the kitchen
Their paws and nails wore a hole thru the drywall by the window. I filled it in with a new piece
of dry wall, and repeat, then I filled it in solid with plaster, different hole, then it fell out

The I filled it in with Durhams, that patch is still there, 35 years later, it may out last the house!

The person who sells those blocks has published a video describing how he makes them…

I recall a published ingredient list as well.

3 Likes

They do sell the molds for them, but you could probably make your own for cheaper.

1 Like