Changing Texas Dealer Franchise Laws

Currently you can’t purchase a Tesla directly in Texas due to antiquated dealer franchise laws, you can contact your state representative using a form here if you would like them to change the current anti consumer laws.

3 Likes

But, customers would be confused if they didn’t have a dealership to help them! And people would have nowhere to go to get their cars fixed if not for dealerships! And if dealerships close down, please think of the highly-skilled typists who can bill $250 and up to fill out a one-page title application - there’s very few places that can support such specialized talent. :smiley:

3 Likes

Who else would be available to sell you rustproofing undercoating, tire care packages, or 3rd party warrainties for your Tesla?

Well, besides the car warranty jackasses that call e v e r y d a m n d a y.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve never seen him do that before. He let me take $50 off that TruCoat™.

2 Likes

Texas State Rep said it would have gone better if Mr. Tesla had handled it differently, by sitting down and talking it over with Texas car dealers first.

1 Like

Gulf States Toyota didnt do Tesla any favors either.

The problem in Texas is that the state’s Dealer Franchising Law is considered the gold standard by the National Association of Auto Dealers (un-ironically NADA). NADA puts out a lot of folksey propaganda and economic statistics that would make stadium promoters weep with envy. For all the appeals to the small town independent dealer that provides good jobs and directly/indirectly employs some improbable percentage of the county, the reality is that car dealers are often as not regional / interstate conglomerates that seek rent at least as much as they create value.

They are evil. I should’ve sued them when I got screwed by them years ago.

Live and learn… but I did influence > $250K in vehicle purchases towards other brands for family members and friends and I’ve never purchased another one myself.