Ceramic Carved Bowl Class - Christmas in September!

Wednesday, September 12 at 7pm
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/7536

Want to avoid the mad scramble for kiln time as we approach the holidays? Want to go ahead and scratch a name off the ever growing Christmas present list? The Ceramics committee feels you, we really do. Starting in November the turn around time for completed pieces begins to stretch longer and longer as we pack kilns to the gills and cross our fingers that we can keep up with demand.

Avoid all that by starting now! We have a new project-based ceramics class up on the calendar. If you’ve been wanting to dip your toes in on the pottery front but not sure if you want to invest a lot of hours, this might fit the bill. We’ll be looking at shaping for yarn bowls, but you can use them for whatever strikes your fancy.

Two options:

Cake from a Box: Thrown bowl blanks will be available for $5, payable at the beginning of class.

From Scratch: Bring your own bowl (contact me to talk about dryness levels), thrown or handbuilt.

We’ll demonstrate alteration and finishing…then let you loose with knives! After the first firing, there will be a meetup opportunity where we will show you what options you have and how to glaze your bowl to make it perfect for gift-giving or your own grabby hands. There will also be a separate Glazing class posted towards the end of September for which you can sign up.

4 Likes

Here is a selection in case you have no idea what a ‘yarn bowl’ is. They can be built in a variety of shapes and sizes with all sorts of cutouts and holes. If you aren’t a knitter, but just have need of a cool piece of pottery, we’ve got you covered. It’s a bowl, it holds things!

5 Likes

Kudos to you, Christy, for planning ahead.

I’d like to emphasize to everyone that we don’t have any idea yet when the various committees will be moving. Do not delay on your holiday gifts. You could find the kilns shut down at the most accidentally inopportune time (for you) if you don’t plan ahead.

4 Likes

I’m attaching some killer good bowls at their mid-point from the class last night, I was super impressed all around. Keep an eye out for their finished work in the Show and Tell thread soon!

Work from: @dianarhodes, @tinycupcake, @kpblitzen42, @classielassie, Daniel H.

5 Likes

These are great! I was unfortunately unable to attend this class this time around. Will there by chance be another in the future?

Sure! It will probably not be for another couple of months though. If you are interested in making a bowl before then, just drop me a direct message or an email (same user id at gmail) and we can do a one-on-one.