CA Nov 8th: Committee Notes

Huge thank you to @BarkingChicken for getting the notes on point.

Big things:
Buying a Thor GA441
Vacuum is only for Dye Sub
Old printers will try to gift it to a 501(3)C if anyone nows anyone please tell us
$150 to Science to create new pigment

Link to google doc (notes in red):

Link to PowerPoint

Introductions
In attendance:
Matt Hawes @matthshooter
Laurie Ruggles @mixgeek
Cary Fleming @caryf300
Cindy Kilkenny @clk75201
David Kessinger @photomancer
Shay Galland @barkingchicken
Kenneth Polly @omnomsan
Jessica Updike
Robyn Butler @sewwhat
Nicole Franczai @uglyknees
Clay Bell @claybell
Shabbir Degani @shabbir_degani

10X10 Second place: Mike versus Laurie dice toss. Mike Wins!

Overview of Votes:

Motion to allocate up to $2500 to the Sewing SIG to purchase a Thor GA441 sewing machine and discussed accessories.
Yes: 11
No: 0
Abstained: 1
Motion to add rules to the new Dye Sub Equipment: Training Required, Dye Sub Only
Yes: 10
Motion to rescind sale requirements on the old wide format printers in favor of selling them in any way that generates the most money or donate to a 501(3)C.
Motion to allocate up to $150 to the Science Committee for creation of a new pigment discovered in 2016. Science will give us a progress report on April 1st.
Motion to allocate up to $150 to the Leather SIG to purchase acrylic materials for the purpose of creating templates.

Finance
What we have: $29,660
What we have to spend $6,800 (see slide)
What was purchased in October:
Floor Loom (to be held until expansion) $487.12
3D Vacuum Dye Sub $293.56
Storage rolling cabinet for Dye Sub Vacuum Box $26
Small materials for sewing (seam rippers and scissors) $20
General room items $35
Flat file $350
Mat cutter $400
Wall mounted ironing table $30
Print Frog $130

Discussions:

Planning out the Digital Room

Matt and the leather sewing machine - asking for $2500 for Thor GA441 (Approved, see above)
Adopt Dye Sublimation “Rules” for new 3D vacuum (Approved, See Above)
Proposed Rules from Cary
Dye Sub 101 prerequisite
Dye Sub only
Training Required
Discuss rules/expectation of new tools
Vote
Someone volunteer to put it on the wiki: Cary Volunteered
Someone to volunteer to put vinyl on the machine/cabinet: Cary Volunteered

Printer purchase update 15 minutes (See SIG Meeting Notes)

Ping Pong table discussion need volunteer (No one volunteered)
7pm November 19th

Selling “old printers” off
Vote to overturn previous measures (Vote approved, see above)

Scanner discussion (Not Addressed)

Help Science fund the creation of YlmMn $150 approx Vote (Vote approved, see above)

Potluck for December meeting? Vote (Not Addressed)

Inventory
Sewing/digital marked with different colors -
Pink and Blue - Sewing
Pink and Brown - Leather
Pink and Purple - Fiber Arts
Pink and Black - Dye Sub
Same pink - for everything

Deadline to get everything color coded (Jan. 1)

SIG reports
Sewing SIG meeting - decisions discussed 5 minutes
Establishing classes
Voted unanimously to buy Thor GA 441 and zipper foot
Consew on loan until we get a long arm quilting machine
Call for classes, teachers, supplies, teach the teacher classes
Sunday 2-5p quilting meetup
KAI scissors that make Jorge drool
GA441 leather sewing machine, include a speed reducer and roller guide (essential for our intended use), as well as a set of narrow feet and I believe a different feed plate (flat vs curved). They also want to donate an electric cutter or a few pairs of scissors to the space (KAI scissors). They asked that with these donations, and future donations and price breaks, if they could have a banner of some kind put up in the sewing room (assuming we purchase their machine). I’m not sure what the policy is on banners or other such advertisements at the space.
Banner regulations/understanding/locking in to any agreements?
When purchased move table out and put GA441 in (has its own table)
Sell table or wait for expansion
Quilting SIG shot down

Wide Format Printer SIG meeting - decisions discussed 5-minutes
Clay Bell (@claybell) is the SIG Leader
Looking at having a 64” printer donated with associated service contract and banner
Banners indicate exclusivity and need to be voted on by the board
Chair noted that 64” was probably too big for that room
Vice-Chair noted that maintenance volunteers and interval, train the trainers classes, and member classes would need to be established by the SIG.

Fiber Arts 10 minutes
Not present

Leather 10 minutes
Allocate $113.00 to leather for purchase of transparent orange acrylic for making templates for the leather cabinet. This appears to be the best pricing, including shipping from suppliers listed on the Laser Wiki.
I’d like to remove Training Required requirement from the Leather-working cabinet and replace it with a page on the wiki with a QR code describing the “take care of our tools” information.
Between now and the end of the year we’ll have at least 6 project classes in Leather.
Removing this to focus on templates, and cleaning up cabinet before making new organization boxes. Can do this in late December instead.
Dye Sublimation 10 minutes
Broken mug part - we need the number from sublimation 101
Allocate ??? to fixing it
Vinyl 10 minutes
Not present
Cosplay 10 minutes
Not present

Needs and Q&A
Cindy: It’s been messy and unorganized

3 Likes

Sorry I had to step out for a couple of minutes!

I had the pleasure of hosting Dally and Sam at the space and the meeting - both work at Sunny Sewing Machines, the retailer we will be buying the Thor GA441 from. They heard about the space and they wanted to swing by and see what was going on. They both joined during the CA meeting and were very excited to help out DMS.

Once we get the payment cleared, we’ll purchase the machine and move it into CA room. We are going to first hold a train the trainer class, with regular classes to immediately follow. My intent is to initially stack the calendar with classes to get people certified on the machine and able to do projects - I’m working on curriculum for the class and rules for the machine. Next we will be working to get a supply of upholstery leather to DMS and begin project classes. I will be working with @Webdevel and @Lordrook on leather project classes and project kits (which will have both written instructions and online videos) so that people who are cleared on the machine can sew on their own time.

I’d also like to offer all @Committee_Chairs the opportunity to learn sewing on this machine - it has a ton of applications, and lots of potential for cross pollination project classes and making useful things for your committee (aprons, tool holders, straps, etc.)

6 Likes

and

Precedent has already been set with Mouser and Electronics.

I’m really excited about the new machine and not just because it is named Thor. :blush: Purse making is really big on the west coast and I’m dying to make some.
(Also… I’m @mizgeek and not “mixgeek”)

1 Like

It’s name will be Chris Hemsworth, and it’ll be great for purses and bags. I’m going to be working on a class for purses/bags in time for the holidays (gotta make some purses and bags myself).

I’ll also look at making/buying various feet for the machine that would allow us to make the rolled purse straps along with some other stuff.

1 Like

I’m interested, although I’m only a vice chair but of two committees.
Does that make me the equivalent of a chair? Lol

5 Likes

Do the math: 1/2 X 1/2 = 1/4

1 Like

I’d say that math works out, haha. Vicechairs are more than welcome as well

Actually, he’s working on that leather tool bag of his … so the new machine is just in time!

1 Like

I shall be calling it Mew-Mew. Kat Dennings is awesome.