Build a Motorcycle or a?

Continuing the discussion from Advancing the class requirement for recent board funding:

So kinda trying to spilt this off a bit.

I have many of the required tools to do so, as I started collecting tools to build a bike since about 2002 or so.

I would like to build a bike, my intentions were to buy a wrecked bike for the motor & trans since those are high ticket items.

From there I was/wanted to them mock up a frame from the ground up. Them from there build the fuel tank, oil tank, seat pan, fenders and seat.

I may end up building several since I like several bike styles.
Chopper
Cruiser
Bobber
More of a modern bobber similar to the HD 48.

2 Likes

Are you interested in doing a personal project where you will own it after completed or a group project with a team of interested folks?

I could see a scenario forward for either one. Not sure about honorariums for a personal project, but then I don’t see why not.

Any style of bike would be cool to build though.

Having built a couple of these from the ground up, I would suggest that for the first one, you start with a frame. A bare frame can be had pretty cheap. AND if you wanted to modify the frame, that’s doable quite easily.

You can get a wrecked bike for the engine/trans, Wrecked Toys in Dallas should be having a big event soon.

The motorsport chair and I have had a couple of ddiscussing on this very subject. In fact I will be donating a small motorcycle lift to DMS as soon as I get it cleaned up.

I do believe this could be a great series of classes, specially if most of the tin is to build in house. I do know a few people that we might persuade to swing by and supply basic instructions.

Don “Ho”

2 Likes

It could be both. I could be building a bike at the same time as another is being built. They could feed off of each other.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be a bike build either, That just happens to be on my bucket list if you will. We could just as easily build a dune buggy or such. I know @zmetzing & have discussed the latter before.

1 Like

Dune buggies are fun. I’ve built one from a rolled 67 bug.

I’ve wanted to build an off-road go kart (just a smaller dune buggy really).

A ground up build would teach a lot of skills around fabrication. So I could see honorarium leadership here.

What would be easier, a dune buggy or bike, for the first build?

If a personal project was planned, I would volunteer for the fabrication knowledge. There may be entrepreneurial opportunities.

1 Like

If you are teaching broad skills in bike building or maintenance, honorariums should be available. But if you are teaching a class on a very specific thing: “Rebuilding a Drag Race Transmission 1967-79 Torqueflite 727”.

1 Like

I would love a ground up build of anything… bike, dune buggy, go cart, etc

1 Like

If it is to fall under motorsports, shouldn’t the build be tailored to a specific racing rule book? There are no shortage of governing bodies or classifications to choose from. Perhaps something that could then provide learning opportunities for drivers as well?

Or was this just an idea that spun off of the need for motorsports classes?

Here’s is what I am thinking. Why not get this ball rolling by just mocking up and fixturing up a bobber type frame. Get/find cheap/free pipe even used (Garland Steel sales used pipe) and use it to create a prototype frame. If we can build a solid frame, there are a lot of classes we can do like cutting pipe and prepping for weld up. TIG and MIG techniques, pipe bending techniques, etc. This can generate more interest for a real build.

Than maybe build 2 bikes, etc… or…

1 Like

I do already have, I think about 20’ of 1.5 .120 wall ERW tube in my shed. Consequently my tubing bender die is 1.5 as well. To me, the difficult part,even though not difficult is the motor/trans. Only reason I say difficult, is because its most expensive portion. I need to know dimensions on what to mock up, without a motor/trans makes it more difficult. Again not difficult but I don’t want to get tied down to a “Have to get this motor/tran” for it to work.

I’m keeping an eye out on auctions now

2 Likes

I see. your at that stage in your planning already.

Do you feel that you have the fixturing and angles to layout a frame jig? But just need a motor tranny for mock up and get the belly right?

Lol not today. Those prices went up quickly.

Inspiration for the ?
http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/building-a-morgan-3-wheeler-replica/

So maybe we could plan on building a frame jig first and then go from there?

I am all for the idea of building a bike. It should be a personal project, and we will need to work out storage. This is going to use some resources from both Metal Shop and Motor Sports. Let me know what you need.

2 Likes

Inspiration for the Motorcycle
http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/1940-ss-knucklehead-chopper/

1 Like

The possibilities are endless…

1 Like

Why not a committee build?

I have a cafe racer project I started a few (like maybe six?) years back that’s sitting in the corner of my garage, as I ran out of time and haven’t touched it in at least four years. I’ve recently been thinking of getting back on it, but am generally busy with race cars and work stuff… but I’d be willing to get going on it if there is interest in making it a teaching project. The bike is a 70’s Kawasaki Two-stroke triple, so it’s kind of a different cafe racer project. I built a custom frame to use a late model monoshock rear suspension and aluminum swingarm, with modern inverted forks and proper late model sportbike wheels and tires. I would be willing to fund it, of course, if you guys want to help work on it and maybe do some learning.

3 Likes

This could be another option to begin. I also have a cafe too. It’s a 79 Honda CB 750…it’s a hog for sure.

Maybe a group build around different personal projects?

But then the dreaded limitations of using DMS as the base of operations…Storage Space!