Broken Tips Colchester

I was passing thru on the way to my HAAS class. One of the 3 jaws is definately tilted and would not hold a workpiece. It may simply need to be backed out all the way and then reseated. I won’t have time to do it tonight.

1 Like

3 jaw is out of commission. Will have to have a new set of master jaws. Jaw number 1 is done.

1 Like

Thank you. Can I add that to the class materials. I went back and looked through the ppt before operating again, and could not find that information.

Hmmm. Is this something that I managed to do, or is this wear over time? If I need to pay for something please let me know. I was turning a piece of 2" steel, and at some point, the bit caught and knocked the piece off balance. I’m not sure if the jaws were already not holding well, and that is what caused it to be displaced, or if I did something stupid. I don’t feel like I did, and I was running at pretty low speeds < 120 ft/s per the specs.

IMO this is a cumulative fatigue failure. You just drew the lucky straw to break its back. To do this in “one event” I would expect pretty heavy damage to the tool post/insert holder.

1 Like

It had been getting more bell mouthed over time, as the jaws were not as parallel anymore it made it more likely it would lose grip on a part, I noted it last month here Rogue Strandbeest Mk2 Build

1 Like

Speaking to my work mate, he suggested there is the possibility it bent the spindle shaft and could have cracked a gear. On the first if it is tapering when not expected is a clue and we can visually just check the gears

We can check the runout on the spindle pretty easily as well as any bearing slop.

1 Like

Good news is the taper & bearings are in excellent condition. Bad news is the jaws just look like they got fatigued and started coming apart. Additionally the replacement jaws are proving difficult to find. I read that they could be imperial or metric scroll. Also bad news, you guys will have to now run the 4 jaw for the time being.

1 Like

Thank you. Let’s start looking for a new 3 jaw

How would using the 4 jaw instead of 3 affect working on round bar metal?
@hon1nbo are we still down for Wednesday?

It would be a pain in the ass since you need to manually center your workpiece every time: https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/PDF/centering4-jawchuck.pdf

well since the 3 jaw chuck is broken you’ll have to center on your own until we can replace it.
It’s a good skill to develop anyway.

It’s a good skill to have, but since this is a production piece might want to wait if we can or find someone else. I have less experience with that jaw.
If you still want to do that chamfered groove I can still help with that

1 Like

The 3 Jaw has now been replaced. @procterc & myself assembled the chuck to the existing back plate. We dialed in the 3 jaw to pretty damn true.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=soC_CBJ2BYk

4 Likes

bravo! thanks guys.

Thank you. Can’t wait to use it.

That is great; I can’t wait to start the process of forgetting how to align the 4 jaw! Also, in time for Malcolm’s intro lathe class tonight. So, are you saying that the new 3 jaw arrived with out a backing plate and had to be mounted to the existing?

Ha! :laughing:

Thank you for doing this.