Boat steering cable r^2

I need to replace the steering cable in my boat - a 2012 Seadoo Challenger 210 jet drive. I’ve never done this and was wondering if anyone had any experience with something like this.

@worldcloud cc boat man

See if an owners forum has knowledge of the teleflex part numbers for the cables, instead of the seado numbers. They are usually notably cheaper with the teleflex numbers instead of the builder numbers. They also most likely have the best knowledge of how to do the replacement.

In general, you will want to find all the different places in your hull that you have access to the cable. Any of those compartments may have cable ties to the hull, or to wiring. I suspect you need access to where the cable goes through the hull on both sides to properly loosen the old cable and tighten the new one. You will want to securely tie a pull wire to the end of the existing cable, and pull the existing cable out the helm end. Then use the pull cable to bring the new one back in from the helm end.

I think it’s a pretty simple straight run back for the cable. It doesn’t look too difficult. I was just hoping someone had some experience with it that might give me a few pointers that may not be obvious.

Thanks,

I’m sorry for not responding sooner, but I don’t spend a bunch of time on Talk. I have replaced a number of these cables on a number of different vessels. I have a 150 ton USCG Master’s Captain’s License and I studied Yacht and Small Craft Naval Architecture/ Marine Engineering at Maine Maritime Academy, and taught Maritime Studies at Safe Harbor Maritime Academy. I mention these things not to brag, but many on Talk seem to post without being about to back up their advise. Anytime you want to dive into your bilge, just let me know and I can give you a hand.

My first question is why? Generally these last a very long time, so if you have an issue which caused this to fail. we may want to look at this before we go forward. I can also get most of these cables at dealer cost.

You also want to use the correct lube as petrol-based lubes can cause damage. When in question of in doubt, I generally order my cables a bit long, as less restrictive runs are a good thing. Your run down the Starboard side of the boat is typically much more accessible than the smaller SeaDoo cousins.