Best Place to Host a Website?

How you deploy and/or host your site(s) depends on your goals. Cost is usually a minor factor unless they are just experiments.

I’m a web developer since '94 which makes me ancient in web terms and I have seen it all.

PM me you specific needs and I can help answer your questions.

1 Like

I’ve used IX Webhosting Not being IT savvy and Iove their online and phone support (which is based in US). Different levels of service available.

Vintage Computer Committee

Virtual Cloud Compute

If you’ve got the aptitude to set up and manage your own webserver, going with a virtual server instance from a provider like Linode or DigitalOcean may be a good idea. They offer compute from $5 a month, which allows you to set up a server to host websites, databases, even proxies or really almost any other service you can run on a computer. I’m a Linux server admin/engineer by trade, so the initial server setup is the easy part for me, in the interest of full disclosure. All the same, it’s easy to set up Wordpress, which will let you put a decent website together without knowing a lick of web design or development.

Here’s an example of a website I set up in about 20 minutes, from manual installation of the LAMP stack, to live on the internet, on AWS free tier EC2:
http://reasonablypricedgoodsand.rocks/

If I can figure out how to do that, you’ll be squarespacing it up without their absurd pricing.

Google Cloud has a free tier, including a free 0.6GB VM for life. Enough for a small web site.

1 Like

I personally like … Violent Carpet Cleaners

Is shared hosting still popular? Or has everything moved to docker? Yes, Dwight. I know your opinion. :wink:

1 Like

Popular? I still pay for Dreamhost’s shared hosting that I never use. Mostly because I’m grandfathered into a dirt cheap $1.95 a month plan from 2010, which comes with a free domain every year. Still useful for small sites, Wordpress, and domain hosting, I guess.

I used to use EC2, but I started using Google Cloud last year, persuaded by a $300, 1-year free trial. Google’s always free stuff is better than Amazon’s, IMO, especially for my needs. A free VM for life tugs at my frugality pretty hard.

Right now, I’m playing around with Google App Engine, which has the potential to host a ton for stuff that I use infrequently or for development purposes, while keeping on Google’s always free tier. It also has the advantage of never having to divert my time to sysadmin work, because there’s no OS or applications to maintain. And it scales automatically, so I never have to migrate later.

Also, when I find a good deal on lowendbox.com, I tend to impulse buy VMs that I don’t need.

If the content is static, Google has a no-cost option.

If the site is low bandwidth you could do what I did: use an otherwise idle Raspberry Pi.

Ugh. Every single day linode probes my Pi. From my perspective they are somewhat irritating.

I’d think that’s someone who purchased IaaS from them rather than Linode themselves.

1 Like

Yup. That.

Could be. Too lazy right now to go check.

I have crossed paths with a few similar companies who admit to running spiders with similar access patterns (DigitalOcean springs to mind). The earlier post was based on what seemed likely (marketing research) and what I remembered (which is unreliable in this case).

1 Like

vcc = voltage at the common collector

and Godaddy isn’t a bad place to host a website

1 Like

To answer OPs question … I really like https://www.dreamhost.com/

You can create many domains, sub-domains, databases, emails and also privilege separation by having many different real system users. It also allows, Ruby and Python. For $10 per month it is pretty sweet. I will say the only downside I have found is that you can’t run big processes like composer.

I have multiple websites running on AWS, and it is fantastic. If you have a static site that doesn’t get a lot of traffic, you can host on an S3 bucket for pennies per month, and it is very robust.

If all you want to do is host a static site though, check out Netlify and GitHub Pages. They specialize in static sites, offer free tiers, and are probably easier to setup and use—I am just much less familiar with them.

1 Like

@Jerry_Kassebaum if your wanting to run any php, nodejs, ror app (workpress, etc…) then The best host is heroku or digitalocean.

If its static content then use Github pages.

HackerNoon has a great article on the subject and yes there is plans for teaching a class on aws.

1 Like

more like VCC Computer Committee but vintage/retro tech is in our blood :wink:

No really, those borg nanoprobes won’t go away :smiley:

Dreamhost, bluehost, and fatcow are all the same guys as Hostgator. There is a running internal joke with the company that they all laugh when a customer say’s their quitting the service and end up just dialing up a different help desk number to get the same tech support guys.

Linux Is Not Unix. GNU is Not Unix either.

2 Likes

:party_on:

1 Like

Dreamhost is not on that list you provided. I don’t think all shared hosting is owned by the same people. It is interesting that many are owned by the same group. Dreamhost is different than most other hosting providers out there.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=50006270