Attention wood Carvers

Free crepe myrtle and holly bush stumps for wood carving.
I would like to donate these to the freebie Shelf but would like to know if anyone’s interested in them before I bring these heavy, bulky items in.

1 Like

@Team_Woodshop might be interested in this wood: if so, it could go straight onto the shelves in the Wood Shop rather than the freebie shelf.

It would be nice if you labeled the wood as to which species.

1 Like

From what I’ve just read, crepe myrtle is prone to long, deep cracks unless sealed almost immediately after cutting. It tends to split easily and is hard to sand, making turning challenging. Usually pale, white (sometimes grey) wood. Good for finials and ornaments (which I reads as ‘small turnings’).

Holly berries and sap are toxic: I would not make anything for food contact with this wood.V ery fine grain and little/no figure. Turns very well. Polishes up to a high luster. Considered to be the whitest wood known (according to Wood Magazine, at least). Usually it is cut in the winter and kiln dried to prevent blue stain (caused by fungus) in the wood.

1 Like

Thanks for the response.
I will label each.
I have pics but am not able to upload from phone.
Both were cut out this spring to make room for new flower bed and have been trimmed down and washed off to make as user friendly as possible.

1 Like

I see (online) that some people think holly is a good choice for wands. I also see that @Lordrook is teaching 3 Cosplay turning classes (wands, etc).

If it is air-dried it will likely not be pure white, but in theory one could use a wood bleach on it.

2 Likes

Any blue stain on the holly might improve the look of a wand.

I like the look of blue stain on pine: I made some roll-out cabinets last year which used blue stain intentionally.

2 Likes

Beautiful job on the cabinet!
All the information on the wood is great too, thank you!
I don’t really have time to work the wood though, that’s why I wish to donate it rather than just trash it, but I don’t want to clutter up the shelves if it won’t get used either.
So… Bring it in?? LoL

i would definitely take the crepe myrtle root wad. Ill be up there on Weds or could meet you to pick it up. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Ryan,
I work Sunday thru Wednesday so the earliest I can bring it in would be Thursday.
I live in North Hurst near 26 and Glade Rd if you want to pick up sooner, I’ll be home after 6:30 pm sun-wed.

Ok cool, if you just want to let me know next time its convenient for you to stop by DMS, Ill meet you there.

Hey Ryan… Just found out that I’m working a half day on Wednesday so I’ll come up to DMS right after… Be there about 1-1:30

1 Like

great! ill be either cutting coasters on the laser or carving an mdf thing outside. thanks!

1 Like

Hey Ryan I’m here… not finding you?? Lol

Man, I had to run out for a bit. If you can leave it outside by the back Ill grab it today.

No problem… it’s behind the stairs in back.

i picked it up. Its a beast! Thanks!

1 Like