Anyone know how to work on old turntables?

I’m not sure if Vector is the right committee, but I figured it was a good category. I have an old cabinet/console turntable from the late 60’s I believe. It weighs about a ton so moving it is not fun. I had it repaired by Preston Video as they are the only place in town I could find that would work on this old of a turntable. He reverse engineered some pieces of the machine, replaced a speaker, and got it working pretty well. The problems now are the thing skips even on brand new out of the package vinyl without a speck of dust or a scratch on it, and the mechanism that automatically returns the arm to the off position moves it about 60-90 seconds before the record is over.
Does anyone know how to work on these? I am of course willing to help but my knowledge is low.
I would likely remove the turntable from the giant console before bringing it in, unless someone thinks it is better to bring the whole beast in.

1 Like

@engpin is the master of all vinyl, he may look at it, especially if you bring it up

2 Likes

Do you want to restore it or make it functional? I had one that was beautiful cabinet. The turntable in was really crap. I replaced it with one of my other turntables,. Worked great, speakers were still so so.

The best thing I ever saw was someone that converted it from a stereo to a bar. Where the speaker covers were they converted these into doors and had shelves insides, hanging glass racks, etc. - could not tell it had been modified. In the area where the turntable and stereo was, that was removed and a slide up shelf with the liquor came up. Was pretty cool.

Honestly, at this point I want to sell it, it just isn’t what we want at our house anymore. I have a standard newer turntable in the living room and that serves my needs. I want to fix this so it plays well for the next owner. If someone else would rather buy it in the current state to restore or fix it to their liking I’m open to that too.

1 Like

I assume it is fairly old. Besides the turntable the surround on the speakers are probably shot. It’s sad really because they are beautiful pieces of furniture.

The speakers are actually pretty nice. When I had it worked on a few years back he replaced one speaker and they have a pretty nice sound. Not hi-fi but better than I expected.

Jayson (@engpin) and Mike are the two Vector members who have experience with jukeboxes, record players, antique radios, etc. Drop by tonight during the open house tours and Jayson will likely be there and can help answer some questions. Jayson is currently restoring the nice jukebox from the 60’s and has had the speakers reconed and rebuilt and tested all of the electronics and mechanical assemblies. Jayson and I are up at DMS working on stuff in Vector most nights during the week after work.

1 Like

Post a photo or two of it and maybe someone is looking for one as a project. You never know…

1 Like

That reminds me. When I was in the Army, I worked for the Bridge Surgeon who was an audiophile. His advice: before you go buy high end stereo equipment for yourself, go have an audiogram made. No point in paying for extra for sounds you can’t hear.

If you are over 40 that is good advice, the high frequency starts dropping off fast. Kids in school use mosquito ring tones - the teachers can’t hear them. Take the hearing test: http://www.teenbuzz.org/about-mosquito-ringtones.html

1 Like

Wow. I’m not really that deaf.

2 Likes

Better hope your wife doesn’t read this thread!

1 Like