Anyone here know how to create molds and cast petwer?

Looking to cast some miniatures in pewter tin/lead about an 25mm/1 inch tall with some detail. Wondering if there’s a class or someone willing to explain so I know what materials to provide and what to avoid so I don’t brake and of the Space’s stuff or hurt self.

Watch the Jewelry category on Events. There should be a mold-making class coming up. Next weekend is the Wax Making class for the lost wax process.

@Terrence is teaching the Wax class, and possibly the mold making class as well.

I am doing the wax class on Saturday with Katiri also, and was planning to have a 2nd class three weeks after the wax class to invest (make into a mold for casting) the waxes made in the first class and anyone else that signs up for the class and brings a wax or resin cast.

I will be at DMS tomorrow (Tuesday) to work and go to a printing class and also Wednesday. Find me anytime and I can tell you some things about casting pewter.

Pewter can be cast pretty easily in a sand mold, lost wax mold cooled to a cooler temperature, and also several hard materials like soapstone, tufa stone, or graphite. Since pewter melts at a low temperature it can also be cast in some of the tougher silicone mold rubbers that are available commercially and even high temperature J-B Weld epoxy. It melts at a temperature lower than lead, so you can use a lead pot as used for bullet casting or for casting fishing weights to heat the metal. It’s pretty easy to melt with a torch or over a propane camp stove, also.

4 Likes

Thanks, been meaning to do so but couldn’t make it to the two part mold class and saturdays are blocked off for me.

I’m here now (7/10) until around 11:30 AM, then I have to leave and will be back around 5 PM until at least 8 or 9.

1 Like