Anyone have QuickLOAD?

I’ve been thinking about doing some interesting loads that aren’t published anywhere else.

A couple of examples:

1. VihtaVuori 3N38 or N105 for .30Carbine in a revolver
  2. .44Mag for rifle (only Sierra book publishes this and the powder list is limited).

QuickLOAD is about $150, which is not horribly expensive but above my “on a whim” budget. Since I haven’t purchased it yet, was wondering if anyone else has it.

Thanks.

I don’t have a copy of the QuickLOAD software nor have I used it before. So I’m excited to see how it works if you purchase a copy.

For others wondering what QuickLOAD is, here is a link to the Software Website,
https://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Also, here is a review from 6mmBR.com,
http://www.6mmbr.com/Quickload.html

1 Like

I’m interested in hearing the outcome. I have several thick books plus individual books for each caliber I own.

Speer, Lyman(I think), Lee. Not that I will get rid of them,but I like to check several sources before loading,buying more powder, buying a caliber of gun ect…

Are you looking for a particular performance goal (velocity, bullet weight, etc)? Or are you just trying to do something no one else has done? You may find individual articles on the internet that have tried what you want to do.

This is a subject that there are few people that understand the benefits and dangers of what you are talking about. I don’t know how much experience you have reloading and shooting but this isn’t a good project for a novice, even with a tool like QuickLOAD. There are many pitfalls for a novice reloader when working outside commonly used loading data. Brass prep, component selection, and chamber configuration become MUCH more important when you are working outside of common practice. Think adding a turbo charger to the family driver.

I’m not trying to discourage you from working toward what you want to do. I just suggest that this might be something you want to approach very slowly, after gaining experience with some of the more exotic loads available.

If you are willing to work at learning more about what you are asking about I have some sources that are very knowledgeable in this area. Contact me and I am willing to go into more depth about this.

Russell Ward

I’m not a reloading novice by a fair amount. I’m up to the point of weighing cases (of same manufacturer) to group them, but not quite trimming the necks of rifle rounds. Does that help? :slight_smile:

On top of that, I have my own certain set of mad google skills (“google university” we call it in some circles).

My interest stems largely from the desire to use single-base powders in pistol(-like) cartridges.

Secondary is the desire to use these cartridges in non-mainstream applications:

1. .30 carbine revolvers can be bought NIB today, Ruger Blackhawk.
  2. .44mag rifles – ditto, Marlin 1984.

(1) is notorious for the big fireball. This is because of the standard powder load for that round is designed for the 18" M1 carbine barrel and someone thought it fun to shoot it out a pistol.

If you would like to inquire on my desire for single-base powder, we can have a pow-wow about that on the side.

I’m coming to DMS tonight. If you aren’t going to be there PM me and we can arrange to meet.

Russell Ward

I’ll be there as well, trying to get into the Bridgeport class via “show up and see if there’s an empty slot.”

1 Like