Anyone do any aluminum anodizing

@Team_Science

Could you please confirm for our jewelry folks that sulfuric acid can be neutralized effectively with baking soda for disposal?

Didnt mean to tag you @Lindajdallas

Sulfuric acid can be neutralized but you get a sulfur based salt that is more difficult to deal with than the salt you get with bisulfite.

Acid + base = heat + water + salt

Its okay. If you find anyone, let me know. Would like to learn also .

sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) reacts with sulfuric acid to yield sodium sulfate + water + carbon dioxide
Na2CO3 + H2SO4 -> Na2SO4 + H2O + CO2

When the pH for the resulting solution comes out neutral it’s safe to dispose.

3 Likes

Aye, ph neutralized it can go straight down the drain

3 Likes

@yashsedai :

@Cairenn_Day did not dispute that the chemicals could or could not be neutralized by responsible handlers.

she was specifically referring to permits and the EPA. which is a very different question / concern to have.

1 Like

I’d be happy to weigh in further if the specific rules listed in the relevant ordinances and regulatory documents are supplied.

Let’s please not waste time arguing over hearsay.

3 Likes

Wait… science and information rather than hearsay… here on talk??? Say it ain’t so!

1 Like

Note, I’m not trying to ignore this request, but…
Here

and here

and here

is one example of a member, currently on the BoD, rendering his opinion about using chemicals for etching and/or anodizing at DMS.
I could be wrong, but I have the impression the opinion this member posted represents all of the present BoD, collectively and individually, and, hence, the stance of DMS on this topic.

2 Likes

Check into alodining vs anodyzing. It might be easier and serve your purpose.

Fair enough. We all know David is exceptionally smart and well informed. I’m somewhat in agreement with your take on the BoD and DMS stance.

But, sulfuric acid is not a ferric chloride solution containing residual copper, and a solution used for anodization that has been tested to have a neutral pH following addition of sodium bicarbonate no longer contains sulfuric acid but sodium sulfate. Sodium sulfate is not harmful nor a disposal hazard so where does the hazardous disposal issue for light commercial facilities like DMS enter in to this?

3 Likes

Interesting when I first approached science with the idea of andonizing, I was told that all types
required chemicals that were a problem for us, I did more digging and found out niobium uses TSP and that
a non toxic etching solution for titanium had been developed Which we have–not made up yer since is has a
time to use after being mixed

That is what I based my comments on

2 Likes

You and any interested parties might check in again with the current Science committee chair and lab manager to see if the J&SM and Science committees can get these different anodization processes up and running. Each process and its involved chemicals and procedures should be reviewed on an individual basis but the current lab manager is eager to help out DMS members with chemical disposal.

Thank you Cairenn for keeping an eye out and voicing concern for issues related to member safety.

2 Likes

We are doing Niobium for several months

I want more interest in titanium before mixing up the etching chemical

1 Like

Respectfully your wants are not what leads DMS. If there is an actual safety or compliance reason why it cannot be done then state it. Otherwise don’t be an impediment to someone who wants to use equipment in the way it was intended. I would expect anyone doing things like anodizing or niobioum would welcome ANY interest, not be an isolationist.

Huh ? We are not using any dangerous chemicals, we use TSP-detergent and water

I fought for several years to get the Niobium approved

I pointed out what I was told by the science committee several years ago

Science has used our equipment for other things

My reply is to this statement.

EDIT:

It appears I’ve misunderstood your comment. Please accept my apologies.

1 Like

But aluminum is not titanium Different metals different chemicals

I think this is now in the hands of science since I am not a chemist It has been a long time
since my last chemistry class for me

If we can do aluminum and not violate code I would love it I like workig with it at times

Have you checked with Science? We have a power supply in Jewelry that Caireen has used to anodized niobium. This is beyond my knowledge base, but I know that Science is getting into plating metals and such and they have the big vent hood so you may be able to do some processes that require harsh chemicals. I know others are interested in this as well.

I’m going to be attempting anodizing aluminum in the next few weeks at home. Has anyone had experience with just using the RIT dye? I’m going to just anodizing black.

My larger part is about 15” long tube 2.25” in diameter, which will make doing it interesting. I haven’t decided yet how I’m going to approach the heating portions.