Animation classes?

Hi, I’m new to Dallas Makerspace, and I’m a recent film grad. Some of my interests are editing, documentary film, animation, dance film, and stereography. Just from looking at the calendar I already see a couple of editing classes scheduled but I didn’t see any having to do with animation or visual effects. I was thinking about doing a class on abstract animation using after effects, is this something people would be interested in? Then if that class goes well, I can branch off into other topics. Any suggestions for other film related classes people might want to see?

6 Likes

This would be a great class.

1 Like

Im definitely in. How much after effects knowledge would I need? I have done a few turorials but would love some real world projects.

1 Like

For collaboration purposes, this might dovetail nicely with @artnerdray’s stop motion goof series

1 Like

I would probably design the class assuming people have no or minimal knowledge of after effects. My idea is that the first part of the class would be talking about some artistic principles behind abstract art, and then I’d go on to demonstrate some basic tools in after effects that can be used for abstraction, like particle effects, fractals, and geometric shapes for example.

4 Likes

that sounds cool. Id be in for sure.

1 Like

I’d love this.

1 Like

Yep. It took a long time to do the editing of the last stop motion animation because I had to clean up frame by frame the tripods holding the spaceships and then go in and add some basic After Effects glows. So I took a break and moved on to 2D animation for a bit. Need to schedule an event for 2D soon.

Here is the very short but time consuming on the editing side space animation. https://youtu.be/NZOB07F1k6w
It would be nice to learn of ways to speed things up.

Here are a little over a years worth of animations done at the makerspace.

and the long short

3 Likes

I am not sure what abstract animation is but if it uses After Effects, I would be interested in attending.

I cannot attend Thursday or Saturday evening classes, hopefully you will schedule your class on another weekday.

Back in 2015 Heather Williamee presented a four part class series to DMS, Basic Animation Series. I was able to attend three of those series and they were enjoyable and very interesting. She is a professional animator and had some definite opinions about the craft.

While I have not heard from her in a while, I see she is still has a DMS message address, maybe you could reach out to her to see what she might have to offer the class that you are proposing.

1 Like

I would be so down for this class. So far everything I’ve learned has been online from YouTube and The School of Motion so it would be great to learn something in person for once :joy:

1 Like