Ammo Storage for those who store some

What do you guys do for ammo storage? Im running out of space to store my ammo in my safe. I’m thinking I may end up making a coffee table with internal storage. The internal storage would likely be 50 cal ammo cans.

Plastic stackable ammo cans.

This is what I use at this moment. They do however take up room & are not as efficient as I’d like. IE the 45acp can is also used for 40 S&W, so there is more room that could be taken up by more ammo

I have a 3 foot tall, 3 shelf wire shelf unit, that is likely way over its weight limit, and everything is stored in military style cans, because they stack well, and if abused, are more likely to bend, than crack or break.

Not sure where the next shelf unit goes when this one is full.

Won’t Shoot-N-Support night help solve this “problem”?

Not really. I shoot a lot of different calibers. 38 special, 357 mag, 357 sig, 9mm, 40, 45 acp & 22lr. I then have my rifle calibers.

1 Like

Tim,

Run over to Dick’s in Flower Mound on 2499. They have a bunch of ammo on closeout and I picked up some .40 reman for $36 for 200 rounds.

1 Like

I print my own reloading ammo trays, in part, for economy of space and so that blocks of 50 rounds fit sideways in a standard .50 cal ammo can… and when I seal a can, I drop in a silicon dry pack to reduce the humidity.

Only down side to this strategy is a full can gets quite heavy - but then I don’t plan to travel much :wink:

What? Is “pile of boxes on top of the gun safe” not an efficient storage solution.

While I know I need a gun safe, none of the ones I’ve loooked at would realistically have space on top for as many cans as I would like to have. :grin:

I may make a coffee table with a top that moves. The Potential ammo cans would be under that top.

I do currently have ammo cans of different calibers. Mostly the military got it down to the most efficient package.

I’m trying to store ammo in the “smaller areas” Ive been pondering under the dresser storage.

That is one way to ensure that you coffee table doesn’t accidentally move around.

On the topic of organization, I’ve bought some ink jet printable magnetic sheet, and cut it up into roughly 1/8 sheet slips, that I then put a color coded sticker on. (Steel bearing, FMJ, hollow point, etc, by color) then write the caliber and count on the sticker and slap it on the can. If I pull some out for a range day, I’ll just pull the magnet off, and turn it upside down. If I only put part of it back at the end of the day, I’ll scratch out the count, and write on a new count. Eventually, I’ll stick a new label sticker over the scratched out counts. Too many stickers piled up, and I’ll replace the magnet. Don’t have as many cans of some caliber, pull them and stack them up, or stick them to the side of a filing cabinet. But the cans never get adhesive residue stuck all over them. Or at least I don’t add to the sticky situation.

I toss my training ammo in the metal ammo cans. If it’s precision ammo or defensive ammo, it goes in magazines or stays in the box to protect it