Air Quality Question

Hi everyone.
I’m a newbie here at DMS. I have so far very much enjoyed the community and the classes offered at DMS. I have visited here about a handful of times, and I wanted to ask your thoughts on some symptoms I’m having. I’m having headaches after I visit DMS. I am wondering if anyone else have similar problems. I am wondering if the air quality an issue? Do we have good ventilation overall? I feel like the air is very stale (esp in the hallways) in the space. I don’t want to assume, I just want to hear your thoughts. I will keep you posted if it’s consistent. So far, I have been experiencing in the past three visits, and I rarely get headaches.

Actually there is/was a project to monitor air quality. Not sure if the network is still up but @Brandon_Green can chime in.

2 Likes

My opinion? The air quality sucks. People sand and grind stuff in the big workshop instead of in the appropriate shops with ventilation. They get mad when you ask them to move to the correct areas. Project storage gets covered in dust from these people. Laser get covered. Computers.

Woodshop generates a ton of dust. Needs filters changed frequently, if you are able to help do that task please offer.

4 Likes

I usually get headaches from some smells. I almost always ignore it, because I figure its just me. When I was a kid I’d get headaches from smells even from food being cooked at my babysitters. For me it’s just a fact of life & I deal with it.

1 Like

They are no longer running. The sensors (measuring particulate matter pm 2.5) did vastly exceed their expected lifetime, they were created July 2016 and lasted roughly 2 years, the last one stopped logging about 8 months ago, I’m not sure what happened to the raspberry pis
https://dallasmakerspace.org/air/

4 Likes

This is facinating!
How is the ventilation for our facility? Does it circulate (heat/cool) air centrally? So if any type of gas emitted from one rooms may get sucked into the central heat/cool and may circle back into the classrooms or other areas?

There are a number of RTUs (roof top units) that service the space for heating/cooling, with very few exceptions the RTUs dump the heated/cooled air into the same area they draw from.

1 Like

Most people probably do this because there aren’t work surfaces in the woodshop really besides the 1 small square table. That and they see other people do it and figure it’s ok. It definitely gets all over project storage stuff that’s for sure.

1 Like

I’m not sure of how our RTU’s are set up for ventilation. Typically rule of thumb it about 20% OA. In hospitals it’s even more, 30 % IIRC.

There’s some for sure, I don’t know the percentages though. They’ve got intakes on the RTU itself, well some of them do if memory serves.

They are typically just pre-set non-moving, which is what I think we have, with probably barametric reliefs. The higher end units have economizers that would cycle based of RAE (return air enthalpy) vs OAE( outside air enthapy), then followed by the less expensive dry bulb temps settings.

2 Likes

They definitely don’t have economizers.

Things should be improving as the expansion continues. Better dust collection in woodworking, and new exhaust systems in the automotive area.

At present I avoid the woodshop unless I have my filter mask. Even with the dust collection and filters we have in there, my allergies are not happy.

1 Like

The pi in metal shop is still up on the wall. No assurances that it isn’t shorted out from all the ferrous particulate that has landed on it.

1 Like