Advancing the class requirement for recent board funding

Today I was able to hold a class for Automotive Lift training, today at 12noon.
This fulfills 1 of the 2 classes that the board has requested that the Motorsports Committee hold(there are a few other requirements yet to be fulfilled). I have another list class scheduled for next Saturday, but please consider putting on a class that has more focus on the motorsports aspects.

The class has also provided funding honorarium fort he Motorsports Committee. I’ll put on a class in the near future to send honorarium funds to the Automotive Committee, as that area keeps the Motorsports projects rolling.

The Lift training attendee’s mentioned their interest in additional Automotive training, covering even the generalized basics.

Jay Johnson

1 Like

So what kind of classes are you thinking about?

How is Lift training a Motorsports class? It is an existing curriculum for automotive.

Perhaps, the board can clarify, but the way I read those minutes they wanted two classes related to the function of the motor sports committee.

We already have an automotive committee, so I don’t see a second committee offerring the same clases is serving DMS education purpose.

4 Likes

Do you have any ideas of what classes Motorsports could offer that Automotive could not?

No, I don’t but then I know nothing about Motor sports and very little about Automotive.

But presumably there is something or we wouldn’t need a different committee for motor sports.

2 Likes

We could offer the Smokey Yunik “bend 'em til they DAMN NEAR BREAK” rules of racing classes (aka "how to get away with cheatin’: make it almost NOT cheatin’ ")…

2 Likes

How about a group chopper build. Get chromoly pipe and start building the frame. Use the HAAS to manufacture every part we can think of, especially the wheels. Powder coat every thing that looks capable. At the end of the build, have an auction to sell the bike and raise funds for Motorsports.

Coiuld learn a lot about fabrication. Maybe find someone that has on old bike to donate that can be completely re-built, etc.

1 Like

From my recollection of the board discussion, the problem as I and some others saw it, is funds were asked to cover drivers entry fees on behalf of representing DMS.

The concern was and now still is, what is the path forward for members to become more involved trained/educated in Motorsports in terms of a pathway for being able to learn driving skills so that they may at some point have a chance of driving, beyond the current few drivers. Or for those not particularly interested in driving other aspects of the Lemons car, be it maintenance, repair, telemetry, etc. A standard automotive lift class does not seem to achieve what I believe was the clear intent of what was agreed to. If this is seriously proposed and being put forth as meeting what was discussed I find this very disingenuous and disappointing.

3 Likes

I like that we participate in LeMons. I’ve never understood why we needed a new committee when it clearly fit snugly* under a current one.

*as snug as a bug in a rug.

2 Likes

Or maybe it’s more appropriate and Auto is really better being a SIG under Motorsports? Thus, any lift training would be Motorsports revenue.

It might be a curriculum already but there was a need for this class, as 7 DMS members attended at 12noon on a Monday. It has fulfilled the requirements of DMS members, the requirements of the Motorsports committee, and the DMS education purpose. Our first class as a committee, please allow some time to move further into classes with much more specificity in the Motorsports area.

Recently, I had to take DMS welding courses, even though I have been welding for many years. My welding needs were for Motorsports. Some folks might not see a lift class as supporting Motorsports sports initiatives, and they will feel the same if a few welding classes were kicked off too, there is also a need for machining in Motorsports as well. Yet the lift, welding, and machining are mainstays of Motorsports. Motorsports classes are being planned that be unmistakably Motorsports topics, and the supporting classes advance the interests of Motorsports.

but then again, some folks might consider focused Motorsports classes to be Science classes, covering topics like kinematics, mechanics, chemistry, material specs, etc. I’ll just call them Motorsports, for now. I hope that is within the bounds considered by the board and membership, and not disingenuous.

Offering Lift training behooves most any initiative into Motorsports for DMS members.

Jay Johnson

1 Like

Ehhh Tube…doesn’t have to Chromoly either.

Making a bike from essentially scratch is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I talked to the state about this a few months ago. Essentially it has to have a manufacturer VIN number on it, unless it was built before 1971(I believe). It kinda put me off because I want to make most of the parts, including the frame.

2 Likes

While we’re making silly arguments, let’s go ahead say that Logistics is a type of science, and Infrastructure is a type of science. I think everything at DMS except for Creative Arts is a type of science.

So by all means, let’s get rid of all these unnecessary committees!!!

1 Like

We just create our own VIN # to register. Never done it, but can’t be that hard. I’ll look into it.

Could you imagine the amount of classes and honorariums that could be generated from a ground up build. I think I’ve seen jigs and calcs out there for free to build your own fixturing for a frame. Bike is one of the relatively easy things to build too.

Let’s say get as many members interested in a build and create teams around each piece. We could scrounge for parts and donations and then use the honorariums and donations to buy the material for the next project.

How kick ass would it be to get wheel blanks and mill out some bad ass wheel design with the HAAS?

Create a goal of getting it done in a year or less. Who knows in auction, how much we might get?

In my mind though, it would need to be an awesome machine … not a day of the dead type (though I have no problem with that).

Think we could get 10 committed builders to go for it?

Here is what they sent me.

Rebuilt and Assembled Motorcycles
A rebuilt or assembled motorcycle is one that is assembled from two component parts - motor and frame. The frame number is required to be shown as the VIN on all motorcycles
rebuilt or assembled since 1971. If an identifying number was not placed on the frame by the manufacturer or if the manufacturer’s identification number has been removed or
altered, an assigned VIN must be obtained from the department.

An application for Texas title covering a motorcycle when the transaction involves a change of either the motor or frame or the assembling of both must include:
Application for Texas Title and/or Registration (Form 130-U);
• Evidence of ownership covering the motor and frame. The evidence may be a vehicle title, Component Part(s) Bill of Sale (Form VTR-63), or a Rebuilt Vehicle
Statement (Form VTR-61) establishing ownership in the applicant’s name. Any bill of sale or statement must show the description of the vehicle that the component part
was removed from and the title number of that vehicle;
• VIN verification in the form of pencil tracings or photographs of the frame number and motor number, regardless if the change involves one or the other, or the assembling
of both, or a Vehicle Inspection Report or a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68-A);
• Copy of the current registration receipt;
• Photograph of the vehicle;
• If an assigned number is required, the Notice of Assigned or Reassigned Identification Number (Form VTR-68-N); and
• If an assigned number is obtained, a copy of the Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68-A).

1 Like

Ok this seems to be for any manufactured frame that, we as builders, did not make. I think we just need to find out what it takes to VIN our own frame from tubing. Must be a registration red tape of some kind. I’ll run this down. I don’t think it will be a problem.

If I find out it’s a real PITA, I’ll call my state rep and bitch about how the state is preventing me from being entrepreneurial…:wink:.

But either way, I see this as no problem.

This is how I understand it. If the frame doesn’t have a VIN (i.e. you fabricated the frame yourself) then the DMV will assign a VIN during the titling/registration process. You will still need to provide evidence of ownership of the engine.

We need a donated motor and tranny that’s can be completely rebuilt and ported out. Close to everything else can be fabricated. Carbon fiber molded seat pan with leather covering using the Pfaff beast. HAAS to manufacture as much as possible. Metal for the tins and tank. Powder coating everything. Induction heater /forge to build out the triple tree and who knows what else.

Maybe a build for $5k if we can get a decent motor and tranny for free or very little. Tons of honorarium classe to pay for it with some donations. Sell for 10-15k at completion if done right. Prototype some wheel design and components on the mills.

Build team of a core of committed makers and then add as interest builds and demand grows.

A lot of engineering explored and used to create a practical bike.

Maybe start with build a road bicycle for a frame and then go up to a real toy chopper, etc.

All kinds of possibilities.

1 Like

Im working on the curriculum for a class on racing data analysis. It will cover, among other things, how to understand a plot like this and gain an advantage from it. Shooting for Nov 2nd.

3 Likes

Many things in creative arts could be analyzed scientifically. You would find that many of the things they do are also rooted in science. Science is everything.

1 Like