Acrylic vendors?

I just recently attended the laser cert class and a the names of a few acrylic vendors flew around and of course I can’t remember them and didn’t write them down. Which vendors do you like (locally or online) and would you recommend any products, specifically?

Just a thought, but it could prove helpful to have a collected Member- recommended vendor list pinned on the forum as well as the banned materials list.

Thanks
-b

This thread might be useful: [Resource] What local "makery" stores can't you live without?

I think all of the entries in the “plastics” section would have acrylic.

Not sure if @mrcity ever finished his map, but here’s the thread of vendor recommendations.

[Resource] What local "makery" stores can't you live without?

“Somebody” needs to synchronize the discussing thread and our wiki. In fact, the wiki needs to have its pages synchronized regarding vendor info.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Suppliers

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Parts_and_Supplies

You should have rights to the wiki. If you don’t we can change that.

Thanks for volunteering :wink:

1 Like

LOL! I was afraid of that!

Just an fyi, i bought black 1/4 inch 16x24" sheets, for about $26 each At Regal Plastics. Another member thought that was too much and suggested I call Allied and they quoted $150 for a full sheet. So thats the same price. :frowning:

In small quantities, those are the prices you’ll see. But as someone in a different thread pointed out, the price of plastics is very dependent on oil prices, so there will definitely be fluctuations.

Super secret sauce - Regal Plastics will allow you to dig into the waste area (not really trash but it’s the off cuts perfectly fine for all sorts of stuff) for interesting pieces. They charge per lb. I think (but don’t quote me because I don’t really remember) it’s something like $10-15 a lb.
Now you have to be open to what you find in that bin but I was able to walk out with a pretty fat stack just the other day. They showed me how to identify the true plexi from the laser killing PVC they laughed at my jokes good people.

1 Like

You also have to be careful because it’s not all marked and for our laser it’s not all allowed :slight_smile:

But yeah you can find some real gems in there.

Next time I stop by I’ll do some name dropping “Dallas Maker Space” and maybe they will load me for free and I can drop it off at the scrap bin by the laser…

I have a sign business and my own 60 Watt universal laser to cut cast acrylic. I regularly purchase 16 sheets of 12" by 24" inch 1/4" pieces for for between $105 to $120 from Allied Plastics. That’s about $6.50 to $7.50 per sheet. Sixteen pieces of 12"x24" is what you get from one sheet of 48" x 96", which is a standard size sheet.

Yeah so they really gouge the guy walking in the door…

No they don’t. You get the same price walking in off the street. You just have to pay the sales tax.

I stopped by Allied Plastics on Shady Trail in Dallas (somewhat close to Royal/Harry Hines). They are familiar with DMS. They let me have a sample size (roughly 1’x2’ sheet) of clear acrylic with paper backing. I asked them if I could get scrap pieces and they said they already have a contract with a recycler so that stinks.

Perhaps bulk orders would be cheaper.

I usually recycle my scrap also, but I have learned to be very efficient in my cutting patterns so usually most of my scrap is pretty small pieces and very odd shapes, depending on the job. But I’m more than happy to bring over my scrap pieces if there is a place to deposit it at DMS.

1 Like

I drop off scrap Plexi from work at the space every couple of weeks. Paper backed is usually in longer thin strips (and is usually UV blocking), and larger rectangular pieces from old frames that are having their glazing upgraded or replaced.