3mm/8th in plywood sources?

Where do folks tend to get their thin plywood from? Need to make a few models for some of my nephews to put together to keep them occupied. Also any decent sources for ready to cut files other than thingiverse? The wiki page links weren’t super helpful

1525 by 1525 sheet? Or something smaller?

Baltic Birch? Or a different species?

I’d prefer a selection of species just to kind of compare in person but Baltic would be fine. I don’t know what you mean by 1525 though?

Gonna guess that’s 1525mm² or a hair over 60" x 60".

1 Like

Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas
is the best source close to me. It was about 13$ a sheet the last time I bought a dozen 5 ft by 5ft sheets

Shop Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00-4:00
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00-5:00

10551 Goodnight Lane
Dallas, Texas 75220
972·869·1230
972·869·1342

4 Likes

The other option is Joann’s has 1 foot square and 1 by 2 sheets that are fairly cheap for small projects

1 Like

The standard size sheet for Baltic Birch. Typically the price is significantly less than the United States sizes (e.g. a 4’ by 8’ by 3/4 {actually 18mm} sheet of Baltic birch can be double the price). The 1525 mm by 1525 mm sheets are often labeled as 5’ by 5’.

I’m trying to get sense of “how much”. If you are searching for smaller stock then I can recommend an online vendor or two. The shipping cost is generally painful, the sizes limited to about 3’ by 3’, but the selections are phenomenal.

If you are searching for “full sheets” then an online vendor is out of the question.

Ah gotcha, that’s kinda what I thought but I’ve literally done all my lasering on scrap so the purchase lingo is fuzzy to me. The plan was just some 3-4in models at the largest. I’ve fit six tie interceptor models on a single 1 square foot piece before but don’t have time for shipping (procrastin… Ator). I may just try my luck with foam board. For future reference the online stores would be great though.

1 Like

1525 mm / 25.4 mm/in = 60.0393 inches. Given the nature of wood’s dimensional stability - engineered like plywood or otherwise - call it five feet by five feet without worry.

I’ve had good luck ordering from here…

http://www.woodnshop.net/

…but, it has been more than a year since I last made a purchase.

Everything else I’ve gotten locally.

1 Like

I’ve been getting my 5’ x 5’ sheets from Central Hardwood on Northwest Highway. I think I paid less that $10/sheet the last time I bought them. Tell them you are a Dallas Makerspace member. They are DMS friendly.

http://centralhardwoods.com/products/plywood/baltic_birch

2 Likes

Does it cut well on the laser?

The laser is what I use it for, exclusively.

1 Like