3d scanner limitations

I have a project in the works where I would very much benefit from a couple 3d scans. I know the space has a scanner, but I don’t know is limitations. I want to scan the valley between the cylinder heads on a motor, and the bottom of a supercharger in order to best model an adapter to join the 2. My supercharger is 18"x12"x12" and the engine area is about 18"x18". Is that outside the capability of our scanner, and if it is, where could I find a scanner that can?

@fedakkee is the person to ask. From what I remember of the class your dimensions are well within its capabilities. Also you can scan in sections and merge in cad. More work but doable.

not outside the range but large enough you may have to stage slices.

is it really that bizarre to not use the measurement tools in the machine shop? Seems like measuring+cad would be more practical for this.

The scanner really shines on organic surfaces with significant irregularities or asymmetrical objects.

I want to use the 3d scanner because of the angles and irregularities and ribbing in the castings on the engine side and also to make sure that the supercharger pulley is perfectly aligned, and that the intercooler mounted on the bottom of the supercharger will sit comfortably clear of everything along with the waterlines in and out of it.

I haven’t used the scanner at DMS (didn’t know we had one) but of the two others I’ve used, neither did very good on shiny surfaces. It was to the point that we had some sort of dusting powder to put on metals to dull them out before trying to scan them. It’s probably not a showstopper but something to keep in mind.

Fortunately the supercharger, while metal and in the future will be shiny, is currently covered in a nice dull layer of oxidation. im also not above dusting it with something. Thanks for the info, ill be sure to remember it when i actually scan.

They 3D modeled bumpers & sides of cars. I’m sure it will likely scan ok. I think they used talcum powder or baby powder to dull the finish. Not a SME on this by any means, just my observations.

Probably not, although he was one of the most knowledgeable regarding this tool and was teaching a class on it at some point. But I believe he’s given up on this place and headed off for greener pastures.